Department: Facilities Operations
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Employee Type: Staff
Posting Date: 12/07/2020
Union Representation: CWA
Posting Number: AS018P
Pay Rate: $22.00/hour
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged. Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
- Perform variety of woodworking duties, including but not
limited to rough carpentry, finish carpentry, installation and
repair of hardware, flooring, windows, roofs, etc.
- Performs all duties in a safe and professional manner and in
accordance with established Vassar College and departmental
policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the upkeep of all tools and maintain all Vassar
owned equipment assigned to the employee.
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment daily.
- Responsible for communicating and working effectively with
- Performs other duties as assigned to assist the department in obtaining and maintaining its mission.
- High school diploma, vocational training or equivalent
- A minimum of five years experience in all phases of carpentry.
Academic trade or schooling is a plus, however it is not a
substitute for experience.
- Must have some knowledge of cabinet work and furniture repair
- Must be knowledgeable in the use of various hand and power
tools and their maintenance relative to all scopes of the
- Knowledge of carpentry methods and mathematics
- Requires ability to communicate effectively in English,
including understanding, speaking, reading and writing. Good
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions and work
independently as well as in a team environment.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to perform repeated bending, squatting, stooping,
pushing, and pulling.
- Must be able to stand and walk for a prolonged period of
- Must be able to move, position, place and transport objects up
to and including 75 pounds.
- Must be able to ascend and descend ladders and
- Willingness to work overtime as available. Overtime is assigned according to seniority guidelines.
Member of Carpenters CWA Local 1120, or if not a union member, must become a member of CWA Local Union 1120 within 30 calendar days of employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to attach contact information for 3 professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format. Review of applications will begin immediately. If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources, 845-437-5820.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/1668.