Assistant/Associate Biology Professor
Oklahoma Wesleyan University announces a faculty opening for an Assistant/Associate Professor of Biology. A successful candidate will have earned a Master’s that required a thesis or a Ph.D. in a biology-related field. The faculty member will teach general education and upper-level courses throughout the biology curriculum, for students preparing for research, teaching, nursing, and professional health fields (pre-med, dental, physical therapy, etc.). The ideal candidate will have a strong research or professional background and must have a passion for innovative, current pedagogy. The candidate must be detailed and thorough and willing to prepare students for ongoing professional degrees. A normal teaching load is 24 credits per year. Other responsibilities include mentoring students in research, career and academic advising, committee service, and additional duties as assigned.
The candidate will serve as part of a growing Math and Science team. Responsibilities include but are not limited to academic advisement, program development, and the delivery of quality, professional classroom and online instruction. Teaching experience in the contexts of evangelical and liberal arts traditions is preferred, and candidates who have some degree of theological education in an evangelical context will be given priority. Experience teaching online is also preferred.
Educational Requirements and Qualifications
The ideal candidate will hold an earned doctorate in Biology or related discipline. Candidates who hold an MA or who are ABD will be considered. A degree in Biology is preferred, but credentialed certificates, in addition to a Biology-related MA or Ph.D. will be considered. A personal and vital Christian faith is required. A connection to the Wesleyan Church or one of the many denominations comprising the historic Wesleyan-Armenian tradition is preferred.
Supervision Given or Received
Work is performed under the general supervision of the Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences. Performance reviews are conducted annually by the Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences.
Examples of Work Performed
NOTE: Examples are illustrations only. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Support and contribute to the institutional strategic mission, vision, and goals
- Support and contribute to the goals and mission of the Math and Science department.
- Teach courses in Biology and other Science/Math courses as qualified and assigned
- Guide students in seeing the relationship between a Christian worldview and science
- Assist the Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences in finding and reviewing the qualifications of potential adjuncts to teach in the Biology program
- Advise, mentor, and support students
- Serve on School of Arts and Sciences and university-wide committees as assigned
- Participate in the ongoing assessment, evaluation, and development of the Biology degree and work closely with the entire Math and Sciences team.
- Develop courses and syllabi
- Participate in accreditation work as needed
- Assist the Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences with budget planning and purchasing
- Keep regular office hours
- Perform other tasks as assigned