Instructor of Theatre
The Department of Theatre and Dance at High Point University invites applications for an Instructor position specializing in (Voice/Movement) to begin August 2021. The Department seeks an innovative educator/mentor/artist able to envision, define, implement and recruit for performance programs in Theater and Dance, one who will collaborate in moving the department into the future of performance and higher education.
Candidates should be able to teach movement and voice for
actors, embodiment, and physical characterization techniques.
Desired training in movement may include (but is not limited to):
Alexander Technique, Clowning, Feldenkrais, Intimacy and Stage
Combat, Laban, Lecoq, Michael Chekhov, Motion Capture, Suzuki,
Viewpoints, and choreography for musical theater. Desired training
in voice and speech for the actor may include (but is not limited
to): certification in vocal pedagogy, demonstrated understanding of
recognized teaching methodologies, the ability to teach
characterization, heightened text, vocal anatomy, dialects and
accents, rhetoric and speech. Skills for assessing a person's voice
and movement, effecting change in the use of the body, and the
ability to lead students in establishing goals and fluency, with
the practical steps for achieving those goals, are essential.
Applicants are asked to describe specifics for both voice and
physical embodiment in their cover letters.
Teaching responsibilities will include general education courses, as well as performance studios. Other teaching and production responsibilities may be assigned according to the needs of the Department and the background and specialization of the candidate.
Creative/scholarly productivity, maintaining an active profile as a specialist and/or theater professional; and participation in the success of the Department through recruiting, and mentoring are expected. Capacity for taking on leadership roles in the department, college, and the University is also expected, as service is a necessary component of the tenure track appointment.
- Terminal degree [M.F.A, Ph.D., and/or DFA] with an appropriate focus in performance;
- Demonstrated professional excellence;
- Previous university teaching experience.
- The successful candidate will come with a deep capacity and proven record of teaching or professional coaching.
- Professional performance and directing experience;
- Demonstrable inclusive teaching skills in engaging undergraduates from a variety of backgrounds and experiences. The Department of Theater & Dance is committed to diversity and inclusion in its faculty and curriculum. The most competitive applicants will have a record of inclusive pedagogy and of engaging students from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to teach in other media [acting for the camera and/or voice over].
The following application materials must be uploaded as one file/attachment with Resume and CV.
- Cover letter addressing the applicant's qualifications and interest in the position.
- Current CV.
- Statement of teaching and directing philosophy.
- Three letters of recommendation, one of which speaks to the applicant's potential or experience in teaching.
- Portfolio [optional].