The Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology (EBIO) at the University of Colorado, Boulder is pleased to invite applications for a full-time instructor position to develop and teach curricula primarily in our introductory courses with special consideration toward building a first year experience program for our majors and other students that we serve. We expect individuals to have demonstrable teaching experience in innovative, evidence based teaching practices in ecology and/or evolutionary biology. We seek someone who will enhance undergraduate scholarly endeavors, train students for careers in research and professional fields, create a more inclusive learning environment, communicate the significance of biology, and conduct outreach to communities beyond academia. This person will actively contribute to and provide leadership in social justice, equity, diversity and inclusion efforts in the department. Teaching responsibilities may include but are not limited to EBIO 1210/1220 General Biology, EBIO 1100 Biology and Society, and/or EBIO 1010 Quantitative Thinking.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The EBIO department is a leader in transforming teaching on the CU Boulder campus. Over the past decade, EBIO faculty have been deeply engaged in establishing evidenced-based teaching strategies that enhance student learning and create a more inclusive environment. Teaching in EBIO is aimed at using the principles of ecology and evolution to explain the diversity of life, describing flow of energy and matter in systems, and explaining patterns and underlying biological processes across multiple scales. In our teaching we promote core competencies such as deep engagement in observation-discovery and hypothesis-driven studies of biology, collaborating with people of with diverse knowledge and points of view, evaluating the uncertainty of scientific claims, and effectively communicating scientific ideas. We offer a collaborative, intellectually stimulating, and supportive environment in which an instructor can thrive. Beyond the department, CU Boulder also offers a thriving STEM education community. Multiple STEM departments support discipline based education research and focus on integrating evidence-based practices into their curricula. Several well-established programs associated with our department, including the Niwot Ridge LTER, afford additional opportunities to link research with undergraduate education. The three biology departments, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Integrative Physiology, and Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology regularly interact with regard to improving undergraduate biology education across campus.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Successful applicants will teach 3 courses each semester and contribute to building a successful first year experience program within EBIO.
- Teach 3 undergraduate courses which may include but are not limited to EBIO 1210/1220 General Biology, EBIO 1100 Biology and Society, and/or EBIO 1010 Quantitative Thinking.
- Collaborate with the EBIO Curriculum committee for continuous improvement of course content, delivery, and related support.
- Coordinate the development, administration, collection, and analysis of assessment data at the course and first year experience program level in collaboration with the curriculum committee and appropriate faculty
- Engage in Social Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion efforts in the department.
What We Can Offer
The salary is $52,000 with the potential of extending the 9-month appointment to 12 months through involvement in additional research, programming, and training opportunities associated with the Niwot Ridge LTER ( https://nwt.lternet.edu/ ).
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
What We Require
- PhD in a relevant field of study that enhances the individual's ability to support EBIO students' transition to academic life at CU.
What You Will Need
- Demonstrated organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively, with a wide range of on-campus constituencies.
- Knowledge of first year initiatives, their purpose and approaches.
- Demonstrated proficiency technical capabilities to support building foundational skills in EBIO as a discipline.
- Experience successfully managing and training others, especially college-age students.
- Demonstrated intercultural skills and knowledge of diversity and inclusion in undergraduate education.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working with undergraduates.
- Experience in designing and teaching first year college courses especially for EBIO students.
- Demonstrated experience with innovation in first year experience programming.
- Demonstrated ability to track and assess the impact of a program.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Diversity and Inclusion Statement: demonstrate the applicant’s experiences with and commitment to diversity and inclusion in higher education.
During the application process, you will need to enter contact information for three references and we will request letters of recommendation from them immediately upon application.
Review of applications will begin March 12th and will continue until the position is filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Nichole Barger
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Curriculum & Instruction Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder