Associate Director, Recruiting Strategy – Football
The Department of Athletics at West Virginia University is seeking applications for an Associate Director, Recruiting Strategy. In this position, the incumbent will implement the best strategy to market Head Football Coach and WVU Football with special emphasis on top recruits and the fanbase. This position will also organize communication and marketing from Head Football Coach to priority recruits. The incumbent will need to establish a social media strategy (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and other mediums) for Head Football coach to market WVU Football to top recruits and fanbase. This position will execute Head Football Coach communication through social media. The Associate Director, Recruiting Strategy will use creative abilities to produce collateral material for Head Football Coach recruiting. This person will also produce digital content for the Head Football Coach in time sensitive situations, including graphics, photos, and video production.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Construct presentations for the Head Football Coach to be utilized for program enhancement and recruiting.
- Collaborate with Associate Director of Graphic Design and Associate Director of Creative Video on Head Football Coach communication needs.
- Ensure Head Football Coach and WVU Football communication align.
- Work with recruiting staff and creative staff to maximize opportunities to promote Head Football Coach and WVU Football to top recruits and the fanbase.
- Engage with coaches’ video staff on Head Football Coach requests for team communication.
- Manage and oversee student interns to assist with research and strategy.
- Participate in recruiting meetings with Head Football Coach and recruiting staff to capture beneficial information to help market to priority recruits.
- Contribute new ideas to Head Football Coach and football external staff, including creative and recruiting staffs.
- Contribute to the the design of various items for the promotion of the football program, including, but not limited to, recruiting correspondence, signage, logos, sales presentations, brochures, flyers and forms, marketing/sales presentations and proposals. Participate in the preparation of materials for television productions. Contributes to the design and development of Internet sites, including planning and designing elements of the site. Responsibilities include maintaining artist-designed pages in HTML, coding script and queries, and applying new technology processes and ideas to editorial requests.
- Contribute to the conceptualization, design, development, implementation and underlying architecture of University’s official athletic web site(s), utilizing uniform fonts, formatting, icons, images, layout techniques and modularization, including maintenance of HTML template and image archives. Determine the appropriate compression techniques, resolutions, sizes, color designs and depth to ensure that images, photographs, and graphics are delivered at a sufficiently high speed and quality for intended output media. Maintain links to the Internet and searches/locates new links; interacts regularly with third-party vendors and/or partners.
- Work closely with the Director of Digital Media, photographers, videographers, designers, illustrators and web content developers to produce promotional material, web, video and multimedia.
- Assist with the delegation of assignments and responsibilities to freelancers and third-party contributors as needed.
- Ensure that content complies with University, Conference and Department communications standards reflecting the image and mission of the institution.
- Perform other job-related assignments as requested by the Associate Athletics Director of Football External Affairs and/or Head Football Coach.
- Report directly to the Associate Athletics Director of Football External Affairs; must also work closely with all others involved with carrying out the philosophy and objectives of the intercollegiate athletic program.
- Maintain knowledge of and comply with all rules, regulations, policies and guidelines of West Virginia University, the Big 12 Conference and the NCAA; must adhere to NCAA Bylaw 11.1 Conduct of Athletic Personnel. Failure to adhere to these policies will result in appropriate disciplinary action including possible suspension and termination.
- Represent the University on the highest professional level with dignity, integrity, and strength of character and will exhibit ethical behavior; must respect the rights and dignity of individuals with sensitivity to problems that may arise from racial, ethnical and sexual orientation differences.
- Demonstrate a cooperative attitude towards all sports within the intercollegiate athletic program.
- Possess the ability to adapt to any situation, make decisions and work independently; position must have the ability to build and maintain relationships with student-athletes, coaches, staff members and contractors; required to use creative abilities to develop new techniques and approaches in dealing with many issues controlled by this position; responsibilities of the position are ever-changing and require constant research and education; requires the ability to adapt to any situation and make decisions.
- Manage sensitive and confidential information related to student-athletes, coaches and staff utilizing discretion and correct decisions. Failure to use proper discretion at required level could result in major and significant embarrassment to the University and/or have a significant impact on image, revenues and eligibility of student-athletes.
- Manage professional and personal time to handle time sensitive-issues, tight deadlines, extended hours beyond the normal workday, weekend work, and regular travel in-season and on-call availability.
- Faithfully and diligently execute related duties of the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in a creative field (e.g. digital media, communications, graphic design) of curriculum.
- Two (2) years of experience in Creative Services and Football Recruiting, preferably at a NCAA Autonomy 5 college/university.
- Knowledge an experience with Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Adobe Premiere and Adobe After Effects.
- Proven success producing creative and innovative multi-media content.
- Experience in multi-media production platforms (web sites, animation, graphic design).
- Knowledge of professional and cinematic video cameras.
- Knowledge of video production, including but not limited to shooting, non-linear editing, color correction, audio editing.
- Possess advanced skills in word processing, desk publishing and web writing software.
- Demonstrated knowledge of making and using design concepts for guides, web, multimedia, video and photography.
- Demonstrated knowledge of professional photography such as composition, lighting, photo editing, retouching, black and white and color.
- Demonstrated ability and knowledge of computer hardware and software, such as Quark, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash, Word, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of HTML and CSS development.
- Demonstrated knowledge of making and using design concepts for print, web, multimedia, photographs, video illustrations, plans, charts and models (scale, color, typography, etc.).
- Knowledge of basic and advanced principles and practice of video acquisition and editing.
- Must have the ability to create as well as review and recognize high-quality and compelling digital media needed for the effective dissemination of vital university information.
- Maintain high standard of ethics and integrity related to intercollegiate athletics.
- Strong working knowledge of NCAA and conference rules, regulations, policies and guidelines and the ability to apply those rules.
- Demonstrated knowledge of design, editing, marketing practices and public relations skills.
- Exhibit strong creative, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated skills in writing and editing copy.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks for extended period of time.
- Ability to independently plan, organize and prioritize work.
- Proactive attitude towards work and assignments.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to maintain proper unit attendance and punctuality standards, work extended hours including nights and weekends (often with extensive walking and standing).
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at https://talentandculture.wvu.edu/ .
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer, and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.