DEPARTMENT OF COUNSELING - CHAIR
FORT VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY (FVSU), a state and land-grant institution of the University System of Georgia, invites applications for the position of Department Chair for Counseling in the College of Education and Professional Studies.
CHAIR- Department of Counseling
College of Education and Professional Studies
The Department Chair for Counseling is located in the College of Education & Professional Studies at Fort Valley State University (FVSU) and is dedicated to supporting FVSU's commitment to meeting the higher education needs of the state, region, and nation through innovative teaching, selfless service, and applied research. Reporting to the Dean, the Department Chair is responsible for leading and managing all aspects of the Department of Counseling.
The work consists of varied management, supervisory and instructional duties requiring good management skills and work within a complex environment. Success in this position is measured by student and faculty success, student enrollment and the overall success of the programs in the department. Reports directly to the Dean of the College of Education & Professional Studies.
Chair the Mental Health, Rehabilitation Counseling and School Counseling Programs
- Implement and monitor the compliance of the department to USG and FVSU departmental and general academic policies.
- Facilitate the long-term development of the department within the context of the university vision, mission, and goals while working to ensure the department's is reflective of external changes in the discipline.
- Coordinate the development, revision, implementation, and evaluation of departmental curriculum.
- Responsible for the collection of program data to ensure the department meets accreditation body standards.
- Perform annual evaluation of counseling specialties.
- Facilitate the management of the department to include direct supervision over department faculty and/or clerical staff and graduate assistants.
- Regularly schedules and presides over department meetings.
- Serve as the primary departmental contact for institutional advancement, recruitment, and retention efforts.
- Facilitate the implementation and maintenance of catalog, website, and policy revisions which address departmental curriculum issues.
- Evaluate, recruit and recommends candidates for the appointment of faculty to the Dean and performs appropriate follow-up regarding candidates.
- Monitor student progress, retention, and graduation rates.
- Use data-driven strategies to increase student persistence and retention.
- Develop class schedules for course offerings in collaboration with faculty.
- Prepare, recommend, and oversee the department budget.
- Evaluate faculty and staff annual performance and makes recommendations for personnel actions.
- Adjudicate and respond to faculty and student disputes.
- Teach graduate courses with a reduced course load as per the university policy (i.e., 9 credits/academic year).
- Serve as liaison for marketing materials and distribution.
- Advise students as appropriate in the academic discipline.
- Seeks and encourages the pursuit of external funding to advance department and institutional mission.
- Appoints ad hoc/standing committees and monitors reporting to meet deadlines.
- Manages accreditation process in accordance to CACREP and GPSC standards.
- Serve as a voting member of the Graduate Council.
- Provide support to faculty for professional development and scholarly work.
- Serve as an advocate for strengthening programs in the department and faculty.
- Performs additional duties as assigned by the Dean of the College.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Knowledge and familiarity with the disciplines in the department.
- Knowledge of CACREP accreditation processes and requirements.
- Knowledge of GPSC certification requirements and standards.
- Experience with preparing and managing budgets.
- Knowledge of innovative and best teaching practices, the effective use of technology and pedagogical methodologies
- Proficient in instructional technology, Office 365, and innovative strategies used to deliver effective student learning outcomes in online programming.
- Proficiency in online program course delivery and development.
- Ability to delegate responsibility and authority in the management of an academic department.
- Ability to make timely decisions and meet deadlines.
- Ability to incorporate data-driven problem solving in decision-making.
- Ability in team building and managing interpersonal relations with various internal and external constituencies.
- Ability to perform oral and written communications.
- Applicants must meet CACREP Core Faculty standards through an earned doctorate from an accredited institution of higher education in Counselor Education and Supervision, Rehabilitation Counseling or related field with current licensure or certifications and successful full-time teaching and advising experiences in higher education. Experience and familiarity with the CACREP accreditation experience is required. Experience as a department chair or leadership experience is strongly preferred.
- This a 9-month, tenured faculty appointment at the rank of Associate/Full Professor with salary to be determined by applicant's qualifications and experience.
- Academic accreditation and assessment experience.
- Evidence of knowledge and experience teaching online courses and effective pedagogy.
- Application packet must include a letter of application that addresses the applicant's interest, relevant experience and qualifications of the position; a curriculum vita; names, addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers of at least five professional references. (References will not be contacted without consent from applicant); Additional information will be requested upon receipt of application.
- All materials must be uploaded on the HR website at https://fvsu.applicantpro.com/jobs/.
- For questions, contact: Search Committee Chair Dr. Anissa Howard at 478-825-6665 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fort Valley State University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate against applicants, students or employees on the basis of race, gender, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, or marital or veteran status.
Effective Date: August 1, 2021
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Fort Valley
- Education Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Fort Valley
- Counsellor Education Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Fort Valley
- Education Administration & Leadership Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Fort Valley
- Professional Fields Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Fort Valley