Technical Bench Specialist, STEM Talent Challenge Grant
Howard Community College (HCC) is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! HCC has been awarded the distinction as a "Great College to Work for" since 2009 from The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Howard Community College values diversity among its faculty,
staff and student population. We are an innovative institution that
is committed to responding to the ever-changing needs and interests
of a diverse and dynamic community. No matter where you want to go
in your career, you can get there from here!
The Business and Computer Systems team at HCC is recruiting for a grant funded position to join the college. The Technical Bench Specialist oversees day-to-day operations pursuant to the grant. Responsibilities include grant progress reports; compilation of program data and budget oversight and reporting. This role will collaborate with faculty and staff involved in the implementation of the grant and will be responsible for recruitment of students, development of internships, and working directly with local employers for placement, recruitment of incumbent workers and to coordinate student pathways from recruitment to placement. This position will perform project management tasks and will collaborate with departments across the college to match the students to the necessary areas of needed support such as tutoring, advising and registration/ financial aid services.
- Project management of all tasks associated with the grant.
- Regular progress reports.
- Compilation of outcome data.
- Oversight and implementation of budget.
- Interaction with external business and academic organizations to recruit students, develop and manage internships and fully coordinate pathways from recruitment through placement.
- Assists with coordination of outreach events, workshops and information sessions and other special programs and projects related to apprenticeship.
- Assists with the development and implementation of outreach strategies for targeted populations and programs.
- Represents the college at most major outreach programs and events such as college, community, business, and career fairs.
- Performs a key role in enrollment management and represents the college's image in relation to public school constituencies and the business community.
- Performs other duties relevant to the grant as assigned
- Business and/or Technology based BS degree; MS preferred.
- Prior experience in supervision and or project management preferred. Prior academic and/or grant experience a plus.
- Preference for experience in academic advising and/or other experience working with students
- Ability to plan, schedule, and allocate resources effectively.
- Proven ability to lead, coordinate and direct a varied set of activities across a diverse population including students, faculty and staff and external organizations.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills with a wide variety of audiences including students, faculty, staff and administration.
- Demonstrated experience in development and maintenance of relationships within the business community.
- Regular attendance and flexibility in schedule is a requirement of this job. Some evening work may be required.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Performs all duties while considering the impact of any actions on the college's sustainability initiatives in the areas of environmental stewardship, social responsibility, and economic prosperity.
Remote position until further notice. Once the college resumes in-person staffing; both in-person and remote working will be available. Lifting and transporting of materials up to 35 lbs and displays may be required occasionally, as well as the possibility of standing for lengthy periods of time and occasional work in crowded, noisy conditions such as at a job fair.
Hours Per Week: 37.5 hours
Work Schedule: M-F 8:30 am to 5:00pm and weekends and evenings as needed
Compensation: $55,191 plus excellent medical & dental, tuition reimbursement and paid leave
This is a full time temporary position. The position is funded by the grant through February 28, 2023.
FSLA Status: Exempt
Open Until Filled
Best Consideration: 2/26/21
*Pre-employment criminal background investigation is a condition of employment.
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance with the job application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 443-518-1100.
Please submit the following:
- Completed Application (Candidates will be evaluated on completing the college's application in full)
- Cover Letter
This position will initially work remotely and then on campus in Columbia, Maryland when we return to in person learning. HCC does not offer relocation benefits. Candidates must live in the commutable area or relocate at their own expense.