The University of Colorado Boulder Police Department (CUPD) encourages applications for a Police Officer . This position conducts various methods of patrol, responds to emergencies, and provides citizen assistance. Join our team and be a part of making a difference on the CU Boulder campus and in the community. Learn more about our community partnerships: CUPD and CU's Pride Center and CU Students and CUPD as well as our Recruitment Plan .
We are also hiring for a Police Officer Recruit, please visit our posting to review the position and apply.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The members of the University of Colorado Boulder Police Department (CUPD) are dedicated to providing the highest quality police services in order to enhance community safety, protect life and property, and reduce crime and the fear of crime. To do this, we pledge to develop a partnership with the community, to lead a community commitment to resolve problems, and to improve the safety and quality of life for all CU affiliates. The CUPD is a full-service police agency with 52 sworn and 36 non-sworn employees providing community-based public safety services to a diverse community of 36,000 affiliates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, all year long. Every year the department responds to approximately 20,000 calls for service and ensures the safety and security for all of their PAC-12 Conference athletic events with attendance at football games exceeding 50,000 fans. Patrolling the campus by foot, bicycle, motorcycle, and vehicle, the CU-Boulder police work diligently with the University community and surrounding agencies to ensure a prompt and coordinated law enforcement response.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Police Operations - Patrol
- Promote public safety by preventing, detecting, and identifying criminal and suspicious activity, issuing summonses, making probable cause arrests and/or incarcerating offenders, executing arrest and search warrants for violations of federal, state, and municipal laws and traffic offenses.
Filing of Cases
- Submit criminal cases directly to federal, state, or municipal prosecuting attorneys, or university officials for filing of criminal charges or referrals for violation of university rules/regulation by writing detailed reports, affidavits for search warrants and other paperwork as required, as well as preparing and delivering courtroom testimony.
Evidence Recognition, Preservation, Collection, and Submission
- Collect and preserve evidence by photographing, videotaping, and sketching crime scenes, collecting fingerprints and other items of evidentiary value, while maintaining chain of custody requirements.
- Obtain accurate accounts of incidents by conducting interviews of victims, witnesses, complainants, and obtaining statements from suspects.
Special Event and Contract Assignments
- Maintain crowd and traffic control and specialized enforcement at political rallies, demonstrations, concerts, and sporting events, as well as working with other agencies for security for dignitaries.
Emergency and Citizen Responses
- Assist the public with medical emergencies, fires, hazardous materials accidents, natural disasters, stranded motorists, and missing persons, as well as provide directions and information to the public.
Proficiencies and Liability Reductions
- Limit agency and institutional legal liability by obtaining certified peace officer status through the State of Colorado and the city of Boulder, by maintaining strict proficiency in knowledge of laws, use of computer-based resources, crime scene processing methods, arrest control techniques, non-lethal weapons methods, and firearms skills through regular training sessions.
What You Should Know
- This position requires a full background check (criminal, financial, motor vehicle), which also includes a psychological examination, job suitability assessment, a polygraph, pre-employment physical and drug screening.
- Per department policy, applicants who have used marijuana within two years of application will be disqualified.
What We Can Offer
Salary range is $65,414 to $89,623 annually.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Impactful. Be Proactive. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of specialized education or training as described further below.
- Possession of current Colorado P.O.S.T. certification and one year of patrol law enforcement experience.
- Must have patrol law enforcement experience from an equivalent sized agency or larger (experience from all other CU campuses is acceptable).
- Must have law enforcement experience from a municipal, state, or county commissioned agency.
- Policing experience such as federal, railroad, private police, military, and correctional facilities law enforcement will not be considered.
- Must be currently employed as a police officer (or employed as a police officer within the last 6 months).
- Must be at least 21 years of age: possess a valid Colorado Driver License and no: Felony convictions.
- Acquiring no more than seven points in the last year and/or more than 12 points within the last two years on a driver’s license.
- No alcohol/drug-related traffic convictions in the last three years and repeat alcohol/drug convictions after the age of 18 within the last ten years.
What You Will Need
- Education or training that meets the requirements for a bachelor’s or graduate degree or equivalent specialized experience or combination of both; specific areas of advanced or specialized training include:
- The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act;
- The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA);
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA);
- State of Colorado and municipal laws applicable to criminal offenses;
- State and local laws applicable to traffic and liquor offenses;
- Understanding and application of U.S. constitutional law with particular emphasis on the 4th, 5th, 6th and 8th Amendments;
- Federal classifications of controlled substances;
- Identification of drug and alcohol intoxication and impairment;
- Hazardous material identification and response;
- Knowledge and application of the National Incident Management System and the Incident Command System;
- Courtroom testimony and evidence handling;
- Victim’s rights;
- Laws applicable to juveniles and at-risk adults.
What We Would Like You To Have
Additional training in Crisis Intervention, De-escalation and Community Policing.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by 3/2/21 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
This position is designated “essential services.” The incumbent is required to respond to requests for work during campus emergencies (snow, wind, rain, flood and any other natural or man-made event) and report to work for his / her regularly assigned shift during emergency campus closures.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Security Studies Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder