Position/Job Summary :
Perform dispatch, patrol, parking services, and/or related duties to provide a community based comprehensive program of security and related public safety services. Participate in directing traffic and enforcing parking rules and regulations, assist with crowd control for special events, respond to various alarms and assist with fire drills; make inspections of facilities for security breaches and fire safety hazards; perform crime prevention duties and related assignments. Provide operational assistance in support of Parking Services; issue permits, receive payments, and respond to inquiries. Serve as a dispatcher when assigned and perform the duties associated with a ‘runner’ for fire safety on campus as required by NFPA. The incumbent is also considered to be essential personnel and will be subject to reporting to work or remaining at work on occasion and without advance notice dependent upon the nature and urgency of the situation and as conditions or circumstances warrant.
This position reports to a Sergeant and in their absence will report to the officer in charge or the Road Patrol Lieutenant. This position will receive day-to-day guidance and direction from the Parking Services and Transportation Coordinator when assigned to Parking Services. The incumbent may also receive direction and guidance from the command staff. This position has no supervisory responsibilities, with the exception of student staff.
1. Patrol assigned areas of campus, primarily on foot, to monitor occupancy, use of facilities, building security, locate abandoned or lost property, ensure safe road and sidewalk conditions, and report damage to buildings, grounds, and facilities, disruptive or hazardous conditions to life or property. Maintain contact with on-duty personnel.
2. Provide “runner service” to the dispatch center primary operator. The ‘runner’ shall be available for prompt dispatching, when necessary, to the protected premises to restore systems, reset and silence equipment transmitting fire alarm or supervisory or trouble signals. For the safety of the campus, runner service takes precedence over other duties of this position. The designated runner will be required to check-in with the Dispatch Center at 15-minute intervals.
3. Demonstrate cultural competence, multicultural awareness, and contribute to cultivating an inclusive, diverse, equitable and respectful community. Demonstrate respectful and inclusive behavior when interacting with community members and visitors. Promote a flexible, collaborative, and inclusive work/living environment and continually engage in educational opportunities to increase awareness and understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
4. Respond to and allow authorized access to campus buildings and facilities. Assist community members with various service-based requests, such as jump starts or escorts.
5. Respond to various alarms in accordance with departmental procedures.
6. Perform various inspections, including but not limited to fire safety inspections, lighting, and emergency phones to ensure proper functionality, and document and report any maintenance needs. Assist with fire drills and other crime prevention programming.
7. When assigned, provide operational assistance in the Parking Services office. Perform parking enforcement duties to include customer service, issuing summons, towing vehicles, enforcement of campus parking-related rules and regulations, ensure vehicles have proper parking permits, identify and report the use of fraudulent parking permits, issue parking permits, utilize various parking management systems, receive and process parking fines, assist with all financial related responsibilities of Parking Services; provide training, guidance, and direction to Parking Services student employees to include training student staff on summons writing procedures and all applicable rules, regulations, and policies with regard to the issuance of summons and towing procedures.
8. Provide support for special events. Participate in traffic and crowd control at special events such as sporting events, commencement, first-year orientation, registration, and other special events.
9. Serve as a field training officer in the areas of security and communications as assigned to include training on policies and procedures, supervising activities of the trainee, and documentation of trainee progress.
10. Serve as a dispatcher when assigned; receive emergency and non-emergency service calls; determine the nature of the call, the location, and the priority of the call and dispatch the appropriate police, security, and/or EH&S unit(s); responsible for coordinating radio communication between personnel and off-campus first responders. Contact fire, ambulance, and other law enforcement agencies in emergencies and coordinate proper response. Maintain communication with personnel, track location, and maintain updated statuses, and respond to requests for assistance; Must be able to operate all communication tools, including but not limited to a two-way radio, cell phone, land line telephone, and police/fire/access control computer systems.
11. Provide emergency first aid assistance and support other first responder as needed.
12. Provide administrative support and process a variety of reports and records including parking enforcement and parking appeals; file service requests, security violation reports, incident reports, sworn voluntary statements, and supplementary reports; Ensure the integrity of completed records; sign-in/sign out keys, and assist with the lost and found property program.
High school diploma or GED and previous experience working in the security field; strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to effectively work and interact respectfully within a diverse and inclusive environment; ability to successfully complete the New York DCJS Security Guard training, specialized emergency communications/dispatch training, and the Ithaca College Office of Public Safety field training and evaluation program; a minimum of 21 years of age; possession of or ability to obtain a New York State driver’s license and must meet the eligibility requirements to drive a College vehicle (please see policy on driving college vehicles for more information http://www.ithaca.edu/policies/vol2/volume_2-216/); ability and flexibility to work rotating shifts, weekends, holidays, special events, and overtime (scheduled and unscheduled), and demonstrated ability to perform the essential duties of the position are required. Possesson of a valid New York State Security Guard License preferred. Applicants will be subject to a background check and will be a member of the collective bargaining unit.
The work of the incumbent is carried out within an indoor and outdoor environment and may involve exposure to hazards and physical risks to personal safety, and exposure to unusual elements such as extreme temperatures and loud noises. The incumbent will be required to remain on their feet or sit for long periods of time, stoop, kneel, crouch, lift, carry, push, pull, climb, balance, walk and run. The incumbent must be able to restrain, lift and/or carry adults of varying weights and must be able to lift, carry, push, pull or move objects weighing up to 30 pounds. The incumbent will be required to operate a variety of machines, and equipment such as automobiles, office equipment, radios, telephones and personal computers.
Interested applicants must apply online and attach a resume, cover letter and list of three professional references. Questions about the online application should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Screening of applications will begin immediately.
Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Ithaca
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Ithaca
- Facilities Management & Physical Plant Not specified Full Time jobs in Ithaca
- Auxiliary Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Ithaca
- Safety & Security Not specified Full Time jobs in Ithaca