Assistant Athletic Trainer
BASIC FUNCTION: Provides preventative care, first aid and rehabilitation injury care to all student athletes and coaches; provides health care education.
UNUSUAL WORK CONDITIONS: Frequent exposure to bloodborne pathogens, Evening and Weekend Hours required.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL NEEDED:
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in Sports Medicine, athletic training or related field. Certification with the National Athletic Trainers Association.
EXPERIENCE: 3 years experience as Assistant Trainer at an NCAA division 1 or division II school. Demonstrated interpersonal skills. Annual recertification in CPR.
REPORTS TO: Director of Sports Medicine
1. Provides first aid injury care. This involves:
- Providing immediate first aid care
- Determining the nature of the injury and the most suitable method of treatment
- Attending all high risk sports games and practices
2. Responsible for providing rehabilitation care to all student athletes injured through varsity sport activity. This involves:
- Developing physical therapy schedules and exercise programs for injured athletes under the supervision of physicians and depending upon the degree of severity
- Coordinating with outside medical resources any follow-up health care if needed
- Approving all physician-related consultation
3. Provides preventative injury care. This involves:
- Providing pre-season conditioning including the design of weight programs
- Designing injury-specific, pre-participation conditioning for pre-existing condition
- Scheduling and conducting pre-season physical exam screenings for student athletes
4. Provides health care education to all student athletes and coaches. This involves:
- Developing and implementing drug/alcohol education programs in conjunction with Athletic Academic Support services
- Interacting with the University Health Center
5. Insures compliance with OSHA requirements for handling of potentially hazardous blood and bloody materials.
6. Assist in coordinating documentation for compliance of the department. This involves:
- Processing insurance claims for all medical bills and expenses on each student
- Maintaining up-to-date records on each injured student athlete
7. To receive annual written approval from the Athletic Director and the President prior to receiving any athletically related income and benefits from sources outside the institution including contractual agreements and letters of appointment. Sources of income shall include but are not limited to: income from annuities; sports caps; housing benefits (including preferential housing arrangements); country club memberships; complimentary ticket sales; television and radio programs; and endorsements or consultations with athletics shoe, apparel or equipment manufacturers.
8. To participate in the professional development of the department. This involves:
- promoting effective and courteous treatment throughout the University community and consistent with the department’s mission
- acting as a responsible committee representative as requested
- monitoring development in Sports Medicine through he attendance at workshops and seminars, memberships in related associations and in the reading of professional literature
- fostering an environment of trust and caring necessary within medical and psychological parameters
- communicating effectively with Director concerning pertinent departmental and University matters
- submitting an annual plan of action and end of season report
9. Promotes safe and secure working conditions. This involves:
- Promoting the proper utilization of equipment, materials and staff
- Notifying supervisor immediately of any unsafe working conditions
10. Performs other duties as requested or dictated by responsibilities.
Duties may be changed and/or be added at any time.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Athletics - Admin
All offers of employment are contingent upon a satisfactory background check.
Fairfield University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to excellence through diversity, and, in this spirit, particularly welcomes applications from women, persons of color, Veterans, and members of historically underrepresented groups. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to all qualified individuals with a disability.
Load a resume or CV first, then upload supporting documents including a cover letter at the bottom of the third page under the "My Experience" section where it says to upload a Resume/CV. You will be able to upload up to 5 other documents in this section. You will be unable to edit your application, so please have all documents available before applying. Faculty Positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email the additional documents to the applicable contact in the job description. Staff positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org