Communication & Events Coordinator, Center for Lifelong Learning, part-time
Athens State University
Closing Date: 3/8/2021
The Communication and Events Coordinator for the Center for Lifelong Learning (CLL) will plan and execute communication, marketing, and events for all Center activities. Additional responsibilities include creation of digital media content, promotions, website updates, and collateral materials. This position will also oversee and assist with the coordination of summer youth camps, training events, conferences, meetings, seminars, and other events for the Center. The Center for Lifelong Learning serves as the continuing education and outreach extension of Athens State University specializing in personal enrichment and professional development classes, industry based workforce development and regional leadership training.
Center for Lifelong Learning Communications and Marketing:
● Provide support and assistance in planning, developing, producing, and delivering communications and marketing material for the Center.
● Manage development, production, and distribution of promotional and related materials to support Center's programming and offerings.
● Prepare written materials including marketing copy, external communications, grants, annual reports, and presentation scripts as needed.
● Develop and oversee the Center's program calendar to ensure timely execution of program marketing.
● Use contact management system (MailChimp, etc) and other social media to increase engagement, advertising and course sales.
● Use independent judgment to execute marketing and communications plans.
Center for Lifelong Learning Events and Programs:
● Provide leadership, development, oversight and execution of Center's summer youth camp program and related initiatives.
● Coordinate on-site arrangements for all meetings, conferences, camps and events.
● Assist with negotiations for Center rental contracts and event space, arrange food and beverage orders, supplies, audiovisual equipment needs, and ensure appropriate decor.
● Develop ongoing community relationships that lead to future Center programming.
● Assist with preparing budgets and provide periodic progress reports for each event project.
● Keep track of event finances including check requests, invoicing, and reporting.
● Education - Associates Degree required, Bachelor’s Degree preferred
● Desired course of study: marketing, communications, event planning, related field or equivalent experience with a minimum of three years of experience in one of these areas required
● Computer proficiency: Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, Email Marketing Management System required
● Excellent organizational and office skills required
● Strong communication and interpersonal skills required
● Sound decision-making ability required
● Ability to work independently while maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, customers, and the general public
Salary Band: N232
To view salary schedules, visit:
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
This is a part-time position. 30-32 hours per week. Benefits included.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Unofficial transcripts should be from the college or university which verifies minimum qualifications for the position. Upon an offer of employment, official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended must be submitted. Continued employment is contingent upon receipt of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
Please provide contact information for three professional references on your application.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://jobs.athens.edu/postings/search
About Athens State University
Located in historic Athens, Alabama, Athens State University offers junior and senior-level coursework to community college graduates and transfer students holding sufficient credits from other institutions. Presently, over 3,100 students have selected Athens State because of its neighborly environment where 50 majors and degree programs are offered, with courses taught by a supportive and exceptional faculty. Approximately 80% of the students are enrolled in at least one online course. The typical student is a working adult who commutes. Recently, the University was featured in the 2015 Best Value Online College Rankings by OnlineU.org for four online programs including computer science, accounting, education and human resources. The University offers undergraduate degree programs in Liberal Arts, Teacher Preparation, and Business. The University employs more than 350 full and part-time employees with approximately 90 full-time faculty members in three colleges: College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business, and College of Education. Seventy-five percent of the full-time faculty members hold a terminal degree. The University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
Athens, Alabama is located in north Alabama equidistant between Nashville, TN and Birmingham, AL. Athens is home to several events and festivals that have been featured as the Southeast Tourism Society’s “Top 20 Events in the Southeast” including the Athens Storytelling Festival and the Tennessee Valley Old Time Fiddlers Convention.
In accordance with Athens State University Policy and guidelines, the applicant chosen for employment will be required to sign a consent form for a criminal background check. Employment will be contingent upon the receipt of a clearance notification from that criminal background check.
Non-Discrimination Policy Statement Athens State University, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. Athens State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, disability, religion, genetic information, or veteran status in employment, or admissions to or participation in educational programs and activities. Inquiries or concerns may be addressed to the Office of the Vice President of Enrollment and Student Support Services, 300 N. Beaty St., Athens, AL 35611, 256- 233-8175.