Controller - College Accountant
About SUNY Empire State College:
SUNY Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative, nontraditional teaching and learning.
SUNY Empire is part of the State University of New York system and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, SUNY Empire primarily serves working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at locations in every region of the state and abroad.
The college's 50-year commitment to flexible, individualized learning is represented by faculty mentors who guide students throughout their academic studies, the ability for students to build individualized degree plans, the award of credit for learning gained from life and work experience, world-class academic and social student-support communities, and flexible course delivery methods that meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college boasts more than 89,000 successful alumni and partners with nearly 16,000 students each year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
SUNY Empire State College is committed to creating a multicultural, inclusive academic and work environment. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We believe that a diverse faculty is critical to academic excellence and prepares students to live and work in an increasingly global world.
We are pleased to offer our employees a generous compensation and benefits package. We also offer professional-development activities for professionals and support staff, as well as faculty-development opportunities that encourage pursuit of disciplinary and community-focused research, scholarship of teaching and learning, and leadership development. Faculty-development opportunities include our annual Fall Academic Conference and the annual Institute on Mentoring, Teaching and Learning.
The Controller is responsible for managing financial accounting services for the college, which include oversight on all accounting regulations; monthly and annual close-out with SUNY; revenue recognition for the college; cash flow projections; maintaining accounting procedures/processes; researching financial information for analysis; fiscal forecast; international partner billing and forecasting; and audit preparation. Responsibilities will include, ensuring that core financial processes and internal controls are maintained, audit related activities are properly prepared for and coordinated, and the highest standards of customer service are promoted.
Reporting directly to the Chief Financial Officer this individual will perform special analyses, assist with fiscal law and internal controls and work closely with the finance team to create and streamline financial reports. This individual will also work collaboratively with other College departments, and will own financial trackers on restricted and unrestricted cash flow, and revenue streams. Other tasks include the budget accounting structure, college bank account reconciliation, managing financial security and access, and supporting Empire State College Foundation audits. This individual will share the responsibility for daily management and oversight of financial accounting and reporting, financial planning, financial auditing, and coordination of related activities.
- Bachelor's Degree in accounting, finance or related area
- Direct accounting experience at SUNY or at a relevant higher education or similar environment
- Eight (8) or more years of progressively increasing responsibility in the area of accounting and financial accounting management
- Have strong interpersonal, analytical, organizational and technological skills.
- A demonstrated commitment to open collaboration and customer service, strong verbal and written communication skills, the ability to manage stress and work under pressure while multitasking under deadlines.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel).
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
- Must have the highest level of integrity with a demonstrated ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
- Superior attention to detail, accuracy, timeliness, and meeting deadlines
- A Master's Degree in accounting, finance, or related area.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- SUNY accounting experience
- Experience working with accounting standards for colleges and federal awards/contracts is highly desirable.
- Experience in higher education system.
- This position is located in Saratoga Springs, NY.
- Some travel is required.
- VISA sponsorship is not available for this position.
Rank/Salary: $70,000+, Commensurate with experience.
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security
Applications Due By: Applications accepted until position is filled.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit the following documents, which are required for consideration by clicking on the APPLY NOW button:
- Cover letter
- Name and contact information of three references