Administrative Director (PRN25241B)
The Director of Corporate Engagement is responsible for the acquisition of new corporate research, strategic partnerships, workforce, and technology licensing within the Partners for Innovation, Ventures, Outreach and Technology (PIVOT Center). Under the direction of the Senior Director of Corporate Engagement, the incumbent is responsible for planning, implementing, and evaluating a comprehensive business development program that will proactively identity and drive capture of basic/applied/translational research funding while supporting expansion of philanthropic support, commercialization and licensing opportunities, and investments in and by the U’s startups. This includes maintaining positive working relationships with companies that current support the university as well as proactively identifying and developing relationships with companies that are not currently supporting the university but have significant potential. The Director will work closely with university and college leadership, Deans, faculty members, and staff colleagues within the Office of Sponsored Programs, PIVOT, the Career and Professional Development Center, as well as University Advancement, among others; and will operate as a collaborative and complementary partner to grow corporate engagement beyond existing University and unit relationships.
PIVOT is based on the University of Utah campus, along the foothills of the Wasatch Mountains, in Salt Lake City, Utah. The office boasts stunning views of the mountains and affords easy trail and outdoor access. For the foreseeable future, the whole of the PIVOT team is working remotely, and we anticipate a return to the office no sooner than summer 2021. The successful applicant will be expected to work remotely upon hire. Residence in the Salt Lake City metro area is not required of applicants and long-term remote work arrangements can be considered, though not guaranteed, for highly qualified candidates.
• Expansive work experience in B2B sales, fundraising, venture/private equity, and/or business development.
• Strong business acumen and the ability to understand and adapt to changing customer needs in highly competitive conditions.
• A track record of success in revenue capture, business development, and corporate relationship building or alliance management.
• Ability to efficiently, effectively, and with a high degree of autonomy, compose, write, and pitch proposals leading to successful closure.
• Proven ability to work collaboratively across a range of corporate and university relationships and demonstrated success maintaining relationships with technical personnel, administrative, and academic leadership. Comfortable working independently and as part of a collaborative matrixed team.
• Persistent and resilient with a tenacious appetite for success. Ability to self-motivate and operate with a high degree of autonomy, with demonstrated success achieving or surpassing ambitious revenue targets.
• The vision and skills to develop a strategic long-range plan for a portfolio of companies as well as annual operating plans to build new/enhance existing relationships with a goal of increasing research and partnership income from corporations.
• Exceptional organizational, analytical, interpersonal, and networking skills with large groups as well as with individuals. Ability to navigate and communicate across organizations with different cultures.
• Willingness to travel domestically with occasional international travel.
University of Utah Job ID# PRN25241B - 00642 - PIVOT Center
COMPENSATION: $103,700 to $128,349
WORK SCHEDULE: Full Time
The incumbent will manage and pursue university-industry partnerships aligned with the University of Utah’s broad range of programs and initiatives and serve as a point of contact for corporate research relations within the University. Duties include but are not limited to:
Serve as the primary relationship manager for a portfolio of corporate accounts. Maintain strong relationships with key liaisons in each company to expand the company’s involvement with the U in areas of mutual interest.
• Develop a strong knowledge base and build relationships with U
faculty and members of the research community—including their
research interests and expertise—and drive relationship development
with companies with mutual interests.
• Work with corporate engagement colleagues to establish annual revenue goals from corporations and develop, coordinate, implement, and assess revenue strategies to grow corporate investment in the U.
• Engage scientific, business development and executive leadership at prospective partners to understand company’s key needs and areas of mutual interest through research, face-to-face meetings, and conference calls. Create and present formal partnership proposals to corporate prospects. Ensure an effective stewardship plan for corporate partners that is functional, systematically implemented, and supports long-term partnership goals.
• Proactively develop strategies, identify opportunities to raise awareness of the U with companies, and encourage more companies to invest in long-term relationships with the University.
• Work with PIVOTCenter colleagues, University faculty, researchers, administrators, colleagues within University Advancement, and the colleges to coordinate strategies for corporate engagements that span the University’s various units.
• Support PIVOTand senior University leadership to ensure visits to and by industry are planned and executed professionally.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Health Care Administration, clinical field, or related area, or equivalency; nine years of progressively more responsible management experience; and demonstrated leadership, staff management, and effective communications skills required.
This position has no responsibility for providing care to patients.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
PREFERENCES: An advanced degree is preferred, as is a record of success building long-lasting and impactful partnerships between faculty/staff scholars and corporate partners. An individual with ten or more years of proven success in sales, corporate business development, or in a closely related profession is also preferred. This position requires an appreciation for new technologies and an understanding of the commercialization process within higher education. While a technical background is not required, a background in physical sciences and engineering is preferred.
TO APPLY, VISIT: https://utah.peopleadmin.com/postings/111377
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities. Please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/TDD), for further information or to request an accommodation. The University of Utah is committed to diversity in its workforce. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.