Maintains and preserves the Academy’s physical environment to ensure a clean, safe appearance and functional condition for those visiting, working on, and using the main campus, athletic facilities and woodlands.
This position is 30 hours per week, year round
This position is considered “Essential Personnel” in the event that:
- an emergency occurs on the PEA Campus or in the vicinity that would impact PEA;
- inclement weather forces the closing of campus, or;
- other emergency events deemed appropriate.
Essential Personnel are required to report to or remain at work if instructed to do so if contacted directly by the supervisor (or his/her designee), the Principal or a member of the Principal’s Staff (Leadership Team).
- Performs routine and repetitive manual labor.
- Cleans culverts, drains, roads and ditches; spread sand and gravel; erect road markers; shovel snow; collect refuse; rake leaves and grass; mow grass; operate light equipment related to above duties, including minor maintenance and cleaning of equipment.
- Provides support for the collection, hauling and disposal of refuse and recycling from Academy facilities and residences.
- Performs other grounds maintenance as required.
- Maintains natural grass and synthetic turf athletic fields, including measuring and painting field markings.
- Maintains outdoor Tennis Complex and Phelps Stadium venue.
- Assists with maintenance and event setup for athletic facilities.
- Cleans restrooms, athletic support buildings and outside areas.
- Moves furniture, heavy objects, and equipment.
- Responsible for cultivating, transplanting, pruning, watering, fertilizing and maintaining lawns, athletic fields, shrubs, trees and plantings as instructed.
- Operates all motorized and non-motorized small grounds machines and tractors with implements (i.e., bucket truck for tree work, snow blower, york rake, aerator, vacuum, overseeder and sweeper, large rotary mowers and forklifts).
- Participates in snow removal.
- Maintains a clean and orderly storage area within the grounds department.
Incumbent works under the guidance of the Grounds Supervisor, but is expected to work with a high level of independence and autonomy, and exercise a high degree of initiative, influence, and judgment in decisions impacting staff and department operations.
Expected to solve problems or address issues that require immediate attention.
Internal & External Contacts
Frequent contact with students, Dean of Students office, PEA administrative and academic offices, faculty, coaches, and staff. External contacts may include parents, outside organizations, visitors and local community neighbors.
- High school diploma or GED is preferred.
- Minimum 2 years’ related experience.
- Experience with grounds equipment and machinery required.
- Knowledge of snow and ice removal operations preferred.
- Irrigation operation experience helpful.
- Pesticide applicator license and knowledge of Integrated Pest Management Practices preferred.
- Experience working with adolescents in an educational setting preferred.
Skills & Knowledge
- Ability to work independently and achieve high results with minimal supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to develop and maintain collegial relationships.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with students by building trust and credibility.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills as well as a strong customer focus.
- A strict adherence to confidential policies is required.
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple priorities and deadlines simultaneously.
- Possess basic computer skills.
- Willingness and ability to learn additional applications as needed.
- High degree of organizational skills with the ability to be flexible and multi-task with accuracy.
- Ability to follow verbal and written directions, maintain a professional demeanor and restraint at all times, including stressful situations.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusivity and to serving the needs of a diverse and inclusive community with diplomacy and tact.