Assistant Director for Employer Outreach and Development
We are a community committed to preparing students to be educated and enlightened citizens who lead productive and meaningful lives.
To be the national model for the engaged university: engaged with ideas and the world.
Who We Are
Established in 1908, James Madison University is a comprehensive public institution offering undergraduate, masters and doctoral programs to more than 20,000 students. JMU is regarded as one of the finest regional universities in the nation and has been continuously cited in U.S. News and World Report, Changing Times and Money Magazine as an outstanding public university. Located in the heart of Virginia’s beautiful Shenandoah Valley, the city of Harrisonburg is approximately 120 miles from Washington, D.C. and Richmond, VA. Known for its livability, diversity, local food, arts and natural surroundings, this Virginia Main Street community is a great place to live and work.
The University Career Center at James Madison University is seeking an experienced and talented career services professional to fill the newly created role of Assistant Director for Employer Outreach and Development. This position calls for someone with a knowledge of career fields, highly developed communication skills, and the ability to establish and maintain relationships with a variety of employers. The University Career Center plays a central role in student learning and success at JMU, and the assistant director is a key contributor to our mission.
- Oversee the “recruit-the-recruiters” function by which we develop relationships with employers for the purpose of having them recruit our students into internship and career positions.
- Plan, coordinate and conduct off-site visits to employers, including those originating in and sponsored by the Colleges or University Advancement.
- Participate fully in programs sponsored by the National Association of Colleges and Employers, as well as its regional and state affiliates.
- Train Career Advisors/Liaisons on techniques and strategies for developing new employer relationships and coordinate their efforts to do so.
- Attend to current employer relationships that we have already established to ensure continued effective communication and service.
- Oversee all efforts in the employer relations and recruiting area that increase employer awareness of JMU’s minority and under-represented students, including special programs aimed at enhancing connections and increasing hiring of underrepresented students.
- Ensure that all employers are conducting their recruiting activities in a manner that is consistent with stated policies regarding diversity, inclusion and social justice
- Serve as the liaison between UCC and other campus departments and programs to increase awareness among under-represented students of UCC programs and services.
- Create and plan events with employers to get them engaged on campus and more invested at JMU.
- Oversee efforts that help employers market themselves broadly, as well as their scheduled campus events.
- Supervise a Recruiting Programs Coordinator and other staff, including students and graduate assistants, as assigned
- At least three years of full-time experience as a career services professional, corporate recruiter, or related field.
- A relevant master’s degree.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with employers, other career services staff, faculty and students.
- Knowledge of career fields, labor trends, and the hiring practices of corporate, non-profit, educational, and government employers.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively with a variety of constituents, including the ability to initiate productive conversations with employer representatives and others.
- Successful experience communicating with, supporting, teaching, or developing educational programs for under-represented students (racial and ethnic minorities, first-generation, low-income, veterans, students with disabilities, etc.).
- Experience creating and managing events that connect employers and students.
- Ability work effectively on a team of career professionals to develop, pursue and implement innovative approaches to enhancing career outcomes of recent graduates and alumni.
- Experience supervising others, including professional and student staff.
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status.