Vice Provost of Research and Extension
Purpose: The University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources (UC ANR), is seeking a Vice Provost of Research and Extension, to provide leadership and vision to California’s county-based Cooperative Extension (UCCE) units and 9 Research and Extension Centers (REC). This dynamic and strategic senior leader will work with talented UCCE and REC directors to set future direction, provide strategies and approaches in developing county-based and regional support for programs and facilities, identify gaps in meeting priority needs, secure resources, and ensure consistency in implementation of UC policy and practices. The Vice Provost will understand local issues and have a deep knowledge of local programs and activities. The position will work closely with UC ANR Human Resources and Business Operations to represent field operations needs and facilitate process efficiencies.
This senior leadership position is a key member of a combined leadership team, including the Vice Provost of Strategic Initiatives and Statewide Programs, the Vice Provost of Academic Personnel and Inclusive Excellence, and the Associate Vice President. This senior leader will also be the key facilitator of the County Director Council and have supervisory responsibilities for all UCCE County Directors and REC Directors.
Major Responsibilities: The Vice Provost of Research and Extension will provide leadership and advocacy for a unified UC ANR program with strong statewide, campus, and local presences. This is a programmatic leadership position for UC ANR research and extension.
Specific aspects of duties include:
- Performing critical functions to achieve the mission of UC ANR
- Responsiveness to clientele needs and issues of importance to California
- Integration of research and outreach efforts across counties, campuses and organizational units
- Teamwork and collaboration among team members and cooperators
- Effective and efficient use of organizational resources
- Understanding of UC ANR programs by stakeholders
- Creating a cohesive team of Directors who actively work together to support, innovate and explore funding and implementation models in order to better meet the needs of all Californians
- Providing overall guidance to and support for UCCE county-based and REC directors and offices, including ensuring coordinated administration and coordinated program planning, development and delivery to fulfill UC ANR’s statewide priorities and local needs and ensuring all of these units operate under appropriate statewide policies and guidelines
- Working with Directors, implement the REC System Strategic Framework; build partnerships and collaborations with tech companies and others to increase program and REC resources and utilization
- Working with UCCE county-based directors, interact and negotiate productively with county boards, government, and local administrators
- Collaborating closely with the Vice Provost of Statewide Programs and Strategic Initiatives and the Vice Provost of Academic Personnel and Inclusive Excellence, as a team, to bring the broad array of activities and efforts within UC ANR into a cohesive integrated system
- Serving as a member of the UC ANR Program Council which advises the UC ANR Vice President on planning and delivery of programs as well as developing recommendations for allocation of resources
- Developing UC ANR budget requests to support the UCCE County-based programs and RECs. Collaborating with local leadership in development/enhancement of county provided support for county CE offices and RECs
- Promoting in all ways consistent with other responsibilities of the position and with all applicable state and federal laws and regulations and University policies, the outreach goals established by UC ANR
- Leading efforts that go well beyond Affirmative Action to achieving a multi-cultural diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization
Education: A minimum of a Ph.D., or other terminal degree, in a field relevant to UC ANR programming is required prior to the appointment start date. Demonstrated organizational leadership and management skills with abilities to facilitate and conduct group process is required. Demonstrated creative and strategic thinking with ability to execute is essential to success. Ability to supervise, evaluate academics and staff employees, and support high-functioning directors is required. Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills are required. Recognized commitment to organizational and programmatic inclusion is required. The ability to analyze and interpret UC and UC ANR policies and procedures is essential. A minimum of five years of experience managing complex programs and partnerships is required. Experience in and understanding of Cooperative Extension is desirable. Skills to communicate effectively in a second language are desirable.
Additional Requirements: The position requires a high degree of commitment, responsiveness, emotional intelligence, and ability to work in a self-motivated manner. Experience in leading a large complex organization is essential, including experience in management of multiple programs, personnel and budgets. Incumbent must have demonstrated exceptional organizational, people, and decision making skills. Extensive in-state travel is required.
A background investigation will be required for the successful candidate, including fingerprinting and a criminal history clearance by the Department of Justice and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
This position is subject to the requirements and compliance of the California’s Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA). Employment within UC ANR is contingent upon securing written acknowledgement to comply with California law.
In addition to the administrative expectations listed above, all UC ANR Academic Administrators appointees are also responsible for performance in the area of 1) professional competence and activity and 2) University and public service.
Professional Competence: All UC ANR CE academic administrators are required to demonstrate professional competence in their administrative areas. Professional competence includes participation in training activities to enhance professional development, such as administrative trainings, professional conferences, or workshops. Professional competence also includes activities that reflect professional standing within the administrative area, such as presenting at conferences or workshops or holding offices in peer groups.
University and Public Service: All UC ANR academic administrators are required to actively serve the University, as well as the public. University service may occur at the organization, regional, state, national, or international level. Examples of potential University service activities include serving on UC ANR or university committees, serving on Western Region or National Cooperative Extension committees, or advocacy efforts. Public service involves activities and events in which the incumbent uses their professional expertise to benefit groups or efforts outside the University. Examples may include serving on external boards or councils, participating in community events, and leadership of non-University collaborative groups.
Affirmative Action: An understanding of and commitment to UC ANR’s affirmative action goals and commitments is expected of all administrators. Further, UC ANR is committed to a culture of inclusion within the organization and across all programs. The Vice Provost will ensure that outreach efforts in program identification, development, planning and delivery provide equitable service to all ethnic and gender groups comprising potential clientele. The Vice Provost will oversee outreach planning and ensure that required documentation of outreach efforts, outcomes and reporting is completed. The Vice Provost must be a champion and model for inclusive excellence in both programs and work environment.
Relationships: The Vice Provost of Academic Personnel and Inclusive Excellence reports directly to the Associate Vice President of UC ANR.
About UC ANR/Background
The University of California, Agriculture and Natural Resources, is the statewide unit of the University of California that administers Cooperative Extension. For over 100 years, Cooperative Extension has served as UC’s “community ambassador” delivering research and education programs to all 58 California counties and expanding the University’s reach far beyond the system’s 10 campuses and the traditional student.
University of California Cooperative Extension (UCCE) is a network of colleagues with a focus on research, education programs, and outreach to resolve local challenges in communities where they live and work. Key to the work of UC ANR, are the nine Research and Extension Centers extending from the Oregon border in the north, through the Sierra Foothills and Central Valley, along the Pacific Coast and south to the Mexican border.
The REC system is UC’s only statewide organization that provides premier research management — including land, labor, facilities, and equipment — to academics and the public. UC ANR is the bridge between local issues and the power of UC Research. UC ANR's CE advisors, CE specialists and Agricultural Experiment Station (AES) faculty develop and deliver practical, science-based solutions that contribute to healthy food systems, healthy environments, healthy communities, and healthy Californians.
Learn more about
- UC ANR at edu
- Our Strategic Initiatives edu/sites/StrategicInitiatives
- Our Public Value statements at edu/sites/anrstaff/2016-2020_Strategic_Plan/Goal_5__Prioritize_programs_and_services/Public_values_statement
Salary: The beginning salary will be in the University of California Academic Administrator series and commensurate with applicable experience and professional qualifications. For information regarding UC Academic Administrator series scales, please refer to the University of California website: https://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnel-programs/_files/1920/1920-adj-scales/t34.pdf
If the successful candidate is currently a UCCE academic with indefinite status, the candidate will be offered the position commensurate with applicable experience and professional qualifications with eligibility to retain a 0% appointment in the current CE academic title and the associated indefinite status within UC policy.
BENEFITS: The University of California offers comprehensive benefits including two days per month paid vacation, one day per month paid sick leave, and approximately thirteen paid holidays per year. For more information, refer to the UCnet website at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits
For more information, refer to the UC Benefits website at: ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu.How to Apply
If interested in this position, please visit: recruit.ucanr.edu and choose “applicants” (refer to position #21-04).
Closing Date: To ensure full consideration, submit materials by April 15, 2021. Those received after April 15, 2021 may be considered if the position has not yet been filled. (Open until filled).Questions?
Contact Tatiana Avoce email: email@example.com
Applicants may wish to explore the UC Davis Services for International Students and Scholars web page at siss.ucdavis.edu as a resource.
University of California Cooperative Extension
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
As of January 1, 2014, ANR is a smoke- and tobacco-free environment in which smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes), is strictly prohibited.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Davis
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Davis
- Agriculture & Animal Sciences Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Davis
- Executive Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Davis
- Other Executive Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Davis