Vice President, Academics
Butler Community College invites dynamic leaders with a demonstrated focus on academic excellence, student success, and commitment to equity and inclusion to apply for the strategic position of Vice President of Academics.
Founded in 1927, Butler Community College has a 93-year history of outstanding faculty, dedicated administrators and staff, and tremendous community and donor support. Serving more than 12,000 students, Butler has been part of a tradition of excellence both inside and outside the classroom with a focus on student success through innovation, and leadership in higher education.
Butler’s Nursing program is highly competitive and recognized across the region for outstanding graduates, NCLEX exam pass rates and its ADN-BSN pathway with Kansas University School of Nursing. In 2019, Butler was named a Top 150 Aspen Institute and designated a “National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education” by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the National Security Agency. Butler has been named a National ACT Exemplar College for College and Career Readiness, is the only AVID College in Kansas, and has one of the first Volvo Car University programs in the country. In very recent years, Butler has seen a number of innovative changes including a complete redesign of the Math curriculum and college course schedule and implementation of Guided Pathways all with a focus on student support and success. Outstanding vocal music, theatre, and fine arts programs along with multiple national championships in football, softball, track and livestock judging set Butler apart along with more than $750,000 in foundation scholarships awarded annually. Butler is the largest employer in the county with a total direct economic impact in the county of just over $46M and a $387.1 M economic impact in south central Kansas.
The Vice President of Academics (VPA) reports directly to the college president and provides
innovative leadership for the college and faculty to ensure Butler’s mission is served, strategic goals are met, and the college’s Timeless Institutional Values of “quality, integrity, caring, and service” are reflected in educational practices.
- Serves as a member of the executive management team which oversees the College’s strategic planning, resource allocation, financial sustainability, academic excellence expectations, and college operations.
- Responsible for the administration and oversight of six academic divisions.
- Promotes student success individually and institutionally through active involvement in recruitment and retention of students and provide equity-focused leadership through collaborative work with students, staff, and college stakeholders who have diverse educational, economic, cultural and social backgrounds.
- Facilitates continued innovation in teaching practices and modalities in a shared effort with faculty and staff to best support, educate, and serve all students.
- Oversees a comprehensive student outcomes assessment program, a vigorous program review process, online learning, and curriculum development.
- Oversees Butler’s highly successful Early College Academies, a robust faculty development program, Guided Pathways, library services, and industry relevant career/technical education advancement.
- Develops and supports dynamic business and industry partnerships in service to our communities.
- Manages annual budget development and financial oversight for academic departments.
Qualified candidates will have a masters’ degree from an accredited institution (doctoral degree preferred) a minimum of five years’ progressive executive management experience at the college level, and a minimum of two years’ full time previous college level teaching experience.
Throughout the years, Butler has been committed to inspiring, empowering and transforming lives. One of 19 community colleges in Kansas, Butler offers more than 110 degree and certificate programs. Chosen and one of the Higher Learning Commission’s “Open Pathways” pilot colleges, Butler maintains an outstanding accreditation history. Butler is the only Kansas community college with a defined and highly successful Early College Academy model for high school juniors and seniors to earn their associate degree at the same time they earn their high school diploma.
Application materials should include a cover letter, resume, transcript of highest educational level completed and 3 references and are submitted to: https://employment.butlercc.edu/postings/5245