Director of Diversity
The University of Pikeville is seeking to hire an innovative Director of Diversity to provide leadership in developing and implementing strategic diversity and equity initiatives that engage all faculty, staff, and students. The Director of Diversity leads the development and implementation of proactive diversity and equity initiatives in support of the University of Pikeville’s strategic plan to create a learning and working environment where everyone has an opportunity to succeed. The position serves within the Division of Student Success and as a member of the President’s Executive Staff. The successful candidate will champion the importance and value of a diverse and inclusive college environment. In addition, the Director of Diversity leads the development of a vision and effective strategy to create a culture for equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Guide the university in implementing strategic diversity initiatives aimed at building a culture that supports diverse points of view.
- Support data-driven recruitment and retention efforts at the institution with a focus on diverse student populations.
- Mentor and support diversity-oriented student groups in the Undergraduate College, Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine (KYCOM), and Kentucky College of Optometry (KYCO).
- Serve as a liaison within the Athletics Department to support our diverse students.
- Design and deliver learning experiences, presentations, and workshops and provide consultation and support of efforts that promote diversity and equity for individuals and groups within the University of Pikeville community.
- Collaborate with university stakeholders to assess potential barriers and develop strategies to recruit and retain a diverse workforce.
- Collaborate with the office of the president and public relations to craft public statements regarding issues of diversity.
- Collaborate with the offices of disability services, intercultural development and Title IX to assess the need for, and recommend training initiatives on, cultural competency, gender differences, disability, sexual harassment, and other topics designed to increase awareness and support of equity, values, and maintaining compliance with applicable laws.
- Work with Human Resources to develop and implement strategies to integrate effective diversity practices creating a more equitable and inclusive work environment.
- Advise the University of Pikeville on diversity, equity, and affirmative action matters.
- Lead the development, implementation, and promotion of a university diversity statement across the UPIKE campus and throughout the external community.
- Occasionally represent the University of Pikeville to external community, organizations, and agencies.
- Manage the department budget, including developing budget proposals, justifying expenses and monitoring accounts.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
This position requires daily contact with co-workers, student workers, supervisor, college personnel, students, alumni, parents, and the community. These relationships are maintained through e-mail, telephone, written, and person-to-person contact.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required for this position. A master’s degree is preferred.
- Proven success as a leader.
- Higher education experience is preferred.
- Fluency in the principles and language of equity, inclusivity, diversity, justice, and anti-racism as they relate to higher education.
- Evidence of building and managing successful partnerships with faculty and other leaders.
- Experience working collaboratively with multiple stakeholders to facilitate change.
- Demonstrated expertise in building an inclusive community that provides enhanced outcomes for community members.
- Experience making data driven decisions with a results-oriented mindset.
- Ability to lead, manage, and motivate diverse constituents.
- Demonstrated knowledge of laws, rules, and regulations governing diversity initiatives.
The University of Pikeville offers a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. UPIKE offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, telemedicine, long-term disability, tuition waivers, a 403(b)-retirement plan, and HSA, FSA, & dependent care accounts. UPIKE also offers a generous holiday schedule and paid leave program.
Important Notes: Resume and other application materials will be reviewed to determine if you meet the required qualifications for the position. If it is determined that you meet the required qualifications, your application materials will be used to identify a top group of the most highly qualified candidates. Please, specifically address the qualifications, competencies and desired qualifications in your resume and application materials.
The University of Pikeville is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history.
The University of Pikeville is an equal opportunity employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. The University of Pikeville does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age or disabilities in its programs, activities, hiring, or the admission of students. Inquiries may be directed to the University of Pikeville Title IX Coordinator by calling 606-218-5344.
For more information about the University of Pikeville, please visit http://www.upike.edu. Interested applicants should complete the online application by visiting http://jobs.upike.edu. In addition to the application, interested applicants are requested to attach to their application a letter of interest, current resume, and the contact information for three to five professional references.