Assistant/Associate Professor of Music - Strings/Tenure Track/Tenured
Position Summary: The Music Department at
Jackson State University is accepting applications for its
Assistant/Associate Professor of Music — Strings
position. In order to receive full consideration
applications must be received by April 15, 2021.
Minimum Required Education: Terminal degree in strings required by the date of appointment. ABD applicants will be considered.
Minimum Required Experience: A minimum of 3 years teaching experience preferred and active artistic/performance life at the local, national, and international levels.
- Maintain national/international visibility through performance and research/creative activity.
- Exceptional teaching and strong performance skills required.
- Record of recruiting and retaining students and maintaining an outstanding applied studio.
- Experience with chamber music coaching/performance and string festival planning and implementation
- Experience with grantsmanship, community engagement and fundraising.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Exceptional teaching skills on string instruments.
- Proficient playing skills required.
- Applicants should have experience working with diverse populations.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage, maintain, and recruit, multiple student studio that will assist in building the university orchestral program.
- Coordinate and coach chamber music ensemble(s) and plan performances.
- Participate in faculty collaborative performances.
- Teach applied string lessons as well as method string classes.
- Serve on instrumental juries and recital/audition committees.
- Actively recruit with ensemble directors and university undergraduate and graduate recruitment offices.
- Advise/mentor students and supervise student activities such as competitions, conferences, and outreach performances.
- Maintain ongoing artistic and/or scholarly research agenda to include performances, grantsmanship, and publications.
- Appropriate departmental, university, and community service is expected.
- Other instructional responsibilities determined by candidates’ qualifications and departmental needs.