A fully funded postdoctoral position is available immediately in the Hertzano Laboratory ( https://www.hertzanolab.org/ ), at the Department of Otorhinolaryngology–Head Neck Surgery at the University of Maryland School of Medicine (UMSOM). The Department is a research-intensive department, ranked 10th in the USA for funding of Departments of Otolaryngology. The laboratory is located within the Institute for Genome Sciences of the UMSOM, at the newly built Health Science Facility III at the heart of the UMSOM campus.
The successful candidate will investigate transcriptional pathways in the development of the inner ear sensory cells with a focus on outer hair cell development and the IKZF2 signaling pathway. This translational project involves multiple engineered transgenic mouse models, cutting-edge cell type-specific multi-omic analyses, in-vivo gene transfer to the inner ear, molecular biology techniques, as well biochemical, functional neuroscience, and cell biology assays.
Applications for the position should include a cover letter describing major achievements and skills, a curriculum vitae, writing sample (e.g. first author research paper), and contact information of three professional references. Please send the application material as a single PDF to Dr. Ronna Hertzano, firstname.lastname@example.org . Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
Employer Name: University of Maryland School of Medicine
Position Location Baltimore, MD, USA
Key words : Neuroscience, Transcription Regulation, Developmental Biology, IKZF2, mouse models
Disclaimers: UMB is an equal opportunity employer. Salary is highly competitive with accordance to NIH guidelines and includes fringe benefits as per University of Maryland policy.
Selected representative publications:
- Elkon R, Milon B, Morrison L, Shah M, Vijayakumar S, Racherla M, Leitch CC, Silipino L, Hadi S, Weiss-Gayet M, Barras E, Schmid CD, Ait-Lounis A, Barnes A, Song Y, Eisenman DJ, Eliyahu E, Frolenkov GI, Strome SE, Durand B, Zaghloul NA, Jones SM, Reith W and Hertzano R. (2015) RFX transcription factors are essential for hearing in mice. Nat Commun . Oct 15;6:8549. PMCID: PMC4634137.
- Chessum L*, Matern M*, Kelly MC, Johnson SL, Ogawa Y, Milon B, McMurray M, Driver EC, Parker A, Song Y, Codner G, Esapa CT, Prescott J, Trent G, Wells S, Dragich AK, Frolenkov GI, Kelley MW, Marcotti W, Brown SDM, Elkon R, Bowl MR, and Hertzano R (2018) Ikzf2/helios is a key transcriptional regulator of outer hair cell maturation. Nature Nov;563(7733):696-700. PMCID: PMC6542691
- Matern MS, Milon M, Lipford EL, McMurray M, Ogawa Y, Tkaczuk A, Song Y, Elkon R and Hertzano R (2020) GFI1 Functions to Repress Neuronal Gene Expression in the Developing Inner Ear Hair Cells. Development 2020 Sep 11;147(17):dev186015. doi: 10.1242/dev.186015.
- Hertzano R, Gwilliam K, Rose KP, Milon B and Matern M (2020) Cell Type-Specific Expression Analysis of the Inner Ear – A Technical Report. The Laryngoscope (Triologic Thesis) Jun 24.
- Orvis J, Gottfried B, Kancherla J, Adkins RS, Song Y, Dror AA, Olley D, Rose K, Chrysostomou E, Kelley MC, Milon B, Matern MS, Azaiez H, Herb B, Colantuoni C, Carter RL, Ament SA, Kelley MW, White O, Corrada Bravo H, Mahurkar A and Hertzano R. gEAR: gene Expression Analysis Resource portal for community-driven, multi-omic data exploration. bioRxiv 2020.08.28.272039
Visit our lab at Hertzanolab.org
Requirements: The ideal candidate is a highly ambitious individual with PhD in neuroscience, biochemistry, or genetics/genomics. Experience with working with mice is essential. Experience in genomics or genomic analysis is not necessary–but welcomed. The candidate must be a team player, think critically, and must possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Baltimore
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Baltimore
- Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Baltimore
- Other Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Baltimore
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Baltimore