Leadership Gift Officer
Title Leadership Gift Officer Posting Number S00738JP Department Leadership Gifts Job Summary
This position is one of seven leadership gift officers tasked with building relationships with, and raising major gifts from, individuals connected to Bowdoin College, which is in the public phase of a $500 million multi-year comprehensive campaign through June 2024. Responsibilities include identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major gift prospects and donors; maximizing capital and annual gifts to the College; establishing long-term relationships with major donors; working in collaboration with other offices in development and alumni relations, and across campus, to meet the college’s fund-raising objectives. This position is based in Brunswick, Maine and will oversee the San Francisco, California region, an area of significant fundraising potential for the College.
• Understanding the culture of a small, highly selective liberal arts college and effectively articulating the College’s mission to alumni, parents, and friends.
• Developing and executing development strategies to secure support from individuals at the major gifts level ($100,000 and above).
• Developing and stewarding a personal caseload of prospects and establishing long-term donor relationships with the College.
• Significant travel expected to accomplish above.
• Preparing reports, briefings materials, correspondence, proposals, and related documents for solicitation of major gift prospects.
• Scheduling visits for the president, deans, faculty, volunteers and accompanying them when appropriate.
• Supporting volunteer networks and assisting in the identification, recruitment, and training of volunteers as needed.
• Developing innovative fundraising strategies that have special appeal and application in the Northern California tech environment, including the introduction and management of The Founders Initiative, a program designed to recognize donor entrepreneurs who pledge to support Bowdoin with a portion of their future capital equity upon liquidation.
Bachelor’s degree required.
• Commitment to the mission and goals of Bowdoin College.
• Ability to cultivate and build superior relationships with alumni, parents and others.
• Adept at identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of gifts to the College.
• Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment
• Frequent coordination with other offices of development and alumni relations.
• Excellent writing and speaking skills are necessary.
• The ability and willingness to travel up to 40% of the time is required.
• Strong organizational skills and analytical skills.
• Familiarity with computer systems and the willingness to use those systems.
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, working both independently and as a member of a team.
• Absolute confidentiality, professionalism and discretion required.
• An understanding and a belief that fund-raising is a team sport.
Experience Requirements and/or Equivalents
5+ years of development/fundraising or related experience required with a strong preference for experience in leadership gift work. A valid Driver’s license and the ability to meet the requirements of the College’s Motor Vehicle Use Policy required.
Standard Work Days and Hours
Hours are primarily Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm often with work after 5:00 pm or weekends. Frequent travel required.This is an exempt position requiring time commitment necessary to satisfactorily complete job requirements.
Bowdoin embraces diversity in all forms, and the College is home to talented students, faculty and staff—with a variety of racial, ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds; religious beliefs; and gender identities, among other factors.
We encourage applications from candidates committed to the support of an inclusive campus community and those who will enrich and contribute to the College’s multifaceted diversity. We value a community in which individuals of all backgrounds are warmly welcomed and encouraged to succeed.
Founded in 1794, Bowdoin has maintained its commitment to the liberal arts for well over 200 years. Bowdoin’s reputation as a preeminent liberal arts college rests on the excellence of its faculty, students, and staff; intimate size; strong sense of community; and connections to the people, history, and natural beauty of Maine.
Bowdoin’s campus is situated in a beautiful natural setting. Located in Brunswick, Maine, a town of approximately 20,000, the College is a short drive from the Maine coast, twenty-five miles from Portland and 120 miles from Boston.
Shift First Shift Employment Category Full Time Year Round FTE 1.00 Benefits Eligible Yes Pay Type Salaried Background Check Package Requirements Support Staff + MVR Is driving a vehicle (e.g. Bowdoin vehicle or off road vehicle, rental car, personal car) an essential function of this job? Yes Is a pre-placement physical required for this position? No Posting Date 02/01/2021 Applications Accepted Until Open Until Filled Yes Type of Posting Internal/External Special Instructions to Applicants EEO Information
Bowdoin College complies with applicable provisions of federal and state laws that prohibit unlawful discrimination in employment, admission, or access to its educational or extracurricular programs, activities, or facilities based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry and national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, marital status, place of birth, genetic predisposition, veteran status, or against qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities on the basis of disability, or any other legally protected statuses.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this position?
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Ed
- Google Search
- Maine Job Link
- Employee Referral
- Bowdoin College Website
- Radio Ad
- If you answered Employee Referral or Other, please specify
(Open Ended Question)
- Resume / Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Birch Island
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Birch Island
- Cooperative & Experiential Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Birch Island
- Faculty Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Birch Island
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Birch Island