CHHS - Dean's Office - 31500
Primary Purpose of Organizational Unit
The College of Health and Human Services ( CHHS ) is an interdisciplinary and integrated academic unit that includes three professional schools: the School of Nursing, the School of Social Work, and the School of Health and Applied Human Sciences. The CHHS has a permanent operating budget of approximately $22M, over 200 permanent employees, and over 4,600 students.
This position reports to the Assistant Dean for Administration and Resource Management and is part of the CHHS Business Core Services Team ( BCST ). The BCST provides financial, budgetary, personnel, events, facilities, systems training and support, and reporting services to all CHHS units.
CHHS - Dean's Office - 31500 College
The University of North Carolina Wilmington, the state’s coastal university, is dedicated to the integration of teaching, mentoring, research and service. Widely acknowledged for its world-class faculty and staff and continuously recognized at a national level for scholarly excellence and affordability, UNCW offers a powerful academic experience that stimulates creative inquiry and critical thinking and a community rich in diversity, inclusion and global perspectives.
A public institution with nearly 18,000 students, UNCW offers a full range of baccalaureate- and graduate-level programs, as well as doctoral degrees in educational leadership, marine biology, nursing practice and psychology; and many distance learning options, including clinical research, an accelerated RN-to- BSN program, an Executive M.B.A. program structured for working professionals, and the nation’s only bachelor’s degree program focused on coastal engineering.
The university’s efforts to advance research and scholarly activities have earned UNCW the elevated designation of “Doctoral Universities: High Research Activity” institution (R2 University) by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
UNCW has been part of the University of North Carolina System since 1969.
Location of Workplace
Main UNCW Campus
Brief Summary of Work for this Position
This position provides support to the Assistant Dean for Administration and Resource Management and the College of Health & Human Services ( CHHS ) Business Core Service Team, leads select hiring processes and supports other employment administration, and provides backup to all employment processes and to other CHHS administrative support staff as needed. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Hiring processes for students, graduate teaching and research assistants, and temporary staff employees
• Maintaining and updating CHHS organizational charts
• Tracking, championing and ensuring compliance for matters related to non-faculty employee evaluations and talent development plans
• Scheduling meetings and managing calendars
• Attending meetings and recording minutes
• Arranging travel including approvals and reimbursements
• Submitting expenditures and reimbursement requests
• Managing electronic storage and maintaining organizational structure of electronic files
• Maintaining documents, manuals, and procedures
• Assisting with preparation of reports
• Providing backup to other CHHS administrative support staff and assisting as needed due to peak periods of activities, special projects and initiatives, and personnel shortages
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
High school diploma or equivalency and three years of progressively responsible administrative/office management experience;
or Associate’s degree in secretarial science, business administration, or a related discipline and one year of progressively responsible administrative/office management experience ;
or Bachelor’s degree, preferably in business administration or a related discipline; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
Preferred education, professional skills and experience
Preference will be given to applicants who:
• Graduated from a four-year college or university, preferably with major emphasis on Business administration or a related field OR
• Graduated from a two-year secretarial science or business administration program and have one year of progressively responsible administrative/office management experience OR
• Graduated from high school and have three years of progressively responsible administrative/office management experience OR
• An equivalent combination of training and experience
Degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions
Looking for candidates who also have:
• Strong customer service and relationship building skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to juggle multiple, complex projects
• Experience with hiring processes
Required Certifications or licensure
$38,500 - $45,000
1.0 (40 hours per week)
Months Per Year
Monday - Friday
8:00AM - 5:00PM
Type of Position
Anticipated Ending Date if Time-Limited
Job Posting Date
Posting Close Date
Special Notes to Applicants
This position is time-limited with the possibility of continuation pending availability of funds and department need.
PLEASE NOTE : This posting will close at 11:59PM on the posted closing date. To receive full consideration, please be sure you have fully completed the entire application before you apply for this position. Failure to answer all required questions will cause the system to disqualify your application.
For more info/to apply visit http://jobs.uncw.edu. Applications must be submitted through the online application system to be considered.
You will be required to attach a cover letter and resume to successfully apply for this position. To receive full consideration, please be sure you have completed the ‘Work History’ section of the application before you apply for this position.
At the University of North Carolina at Wilmington ( UNCW ), our culture reflects our values of inclusion, diversity, globalization, ethics and integrity and innovation and we are committed to providing equality of educational and employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, sex (such as gender, gender identity, marital status, childbirth, and pregnancy), age, color, national origin (including ethnicity), religion, disability, sexual orientation, political affiliation, veteran status, military service member status, genetic information, or relationship to other university constituents – except where sex, age, or ability represent bona fide educational or occupational qualifications or where marital status is a statutorily established eligibility criterion for State funded employee benefit programs. UNCW believes that embracing the unique contributions of our faculty, staff and students is critical to our success and paramount in being recognized for our global mindset.
External Link to Posting
- Cover Letter
- List of 3 Professional References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity with UNC Wilmington
- UNCW Website
- UNCW Facebook Page
- UNCW Linkedin Page
- UNCW Twitter Account
- UNCW Employee Referral
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Hispanic Outlook
- Inside Higher Ed
- North Carolina Job Network
- Women In Higher Education
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Business & Management Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Business Administration Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington