Assistant Director, Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence
University Code 10234 University Title Senior Curriculum Design Professional 1 University Job Family Academic & Faculty Affairs ORP Eligible Yes For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Multi Title Scope of Search National Working Title Assistant Director, Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence Position Number 591700 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department Provost And VP Acad Affairs Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
The VCU Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence ( CTLE ) and Director of Faculty Success, in the Office of the Provost, invite applications for a full-time Assistant Director of CTLE . Both VCU and CTLE value equity and inclusive practices as infused throughout our work. The CTLE mission and team are focused on our ongoing commitments to broaden and deepen our contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion in service to faculty success, and therefore student success.
The Assistant Director of CTLE should have expertise in one or more of the following areas: a) high-impact, active, experiential and applied learning; b) diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice pedagogies; c) scholarship of teaching and learning; d) technology in teaching and learning.
Specific responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Design and facilitate faculty workshops on topics relevant to teaching and learning excellence and faculty success
- Perform various aspects of instructional design, including analysis, design, development, implementation, and evaluation of instructional materials to support faculty and programs
- Deliver programs and services with consistent infusion of equity and inclusion teaching practices
- Support faculty in their pursuit of the scholarship of teaching and learning ( SOTL )
- Provide faculty development to increase student engagement, active learning, experiential and applied learning, and other high impact learning pedagogies
- Collaborate with other CTLE team members and partner units to research and integrate evidence-based practices to inform teaching and learning efforts within and across learning modalities and formats
- Create training materials and teaching support materials for faculty as needed
- Support CTLE and faculty success annual programs such as the workshop series, teaching symposium, new faculty orientation, retreats, etc.
- Assist with evaluation and communication activities that address the impact of the CTLE and faculty success on institutional goals
- Maintain a current understanding of faculty development research and evidence-based teaching and learning practices
- Perform other related duties as directed by the Director of Faculty Success
This position offers the flexibility to work remotely and in person.
Minimum Hiring Standards
- Ph.D. or Ed.D. from an accredited university
- 1+ years experience working in a faculty development capacity
- 2+ years experience teaching in higher education
- Thorough knowledge of pedagogical theories, instructional design methodologies and theories, effective assessment, and approaches for virtual learning
- Demonstrated experience promoting diversity, equity, inclusion, and sense of belonging in higher education contexts or a commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU
- Knowledge of best practices and research on student engagement, active learning, experiential and applied learning, and other high impact learning pedagogies
- Conversant with the literature on educational development, the Scholarship of Teaching & Learning (SoTL), and learning science research
- Comfort with education technologies commonly used in higher education (e.g., Canvas, lecture capture)
- Ability to work independently and manage complex projects with minimal supervision
- Excellent time management and problem-solving skills
- Outstanding interpersonal, oral, written, consultation, and communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google Applications
• Experience as a full-time faculty member within a higher education institution
• Understanding of social justice pedagogy, culturally-responsive pedagogy, cultural humility, institutional bias, reducing equity gaps, implicit bias, and intersectional theory and praxis in higher education
• Experience in the scholarship of teaching and learning, publications, and conference presentations
• Experience with teaching using active learning, experiential and applied learning, mentoring students in research, internships, capstone courses, or other high impact learning pedagogies
• Proficiency in developing interactive online learning environments programs for faculty development
• Some graphic and web design experience or willingness to develop in this area
• Quantitative and qualitative data analysis and reporting skills.
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range up to $85,000 Application Process/Additional Information
To learn more about CTLE please visit: https://ctle.vcu.edu/
Applications will only be accepted online at www.vcujobs.com. Please upload a cover letter, curriculum vitae (with names and contact information for three professional references), and under “other document” please upload a Diversity Statement that describes your past contributions and future aspirations for promoting diversity, inclusion, and equity in your professional career. References will not be checked without candidate’s permission.
Applications should be submitted by March 15, 2021 for full consideration. Start date is negotiable.
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution providing access to education and employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, political affiliation, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or disability.
Campus Monroe Park Campus Hours/Week 40 Normal Work Days/Hours M-F Job Open Date 02/10/2021 Posting will close on or before Open Until Filled Yes Job Category Miscellaneous Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? Yes Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/103492 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Ph.D. or Ed.D. from an accredited university?
- * If you have not received your Ph.D. or Ed.D, when do you
anticipate receiving your degree?
(Open Ended Question)
- * How many years of experience do you have working in a faculty
- Less than 1
- 1-2 years
- 3-4 years
- 5 or more years
- * How many years of experience do you have teaching in higher
- Less than 1
- 1-2 years
- 3-4 years
- 5 or more years
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Curriculum & Instruction Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Instructional Technology & Design Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond