Title IX Coordinator and Director of Outreach & Support
University Code 25411 University Title Director, Legal, Audit and Compliance University Job Family Legal, Audit & Compliance ORP Eligible Yes For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Job Series Scope of Search Regional Working Title Title IX Coordinator and Director of Outreach & Support Position Number 591670 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department Equity And Access Services Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
Virginia Commonwealth University’s Office of Institutional Equity, Effectiveness & Success ( IES ) seeks a Director, Title IX to foster a culture of compliance and to uphold policies related to discrimination, harassment, and sexual violence. This position oversees the investigation, response and resolution of all incidents reported by employees, students and others protected under federal and state laws and regulations. The incumbent serves as the primary institutional authority on Title IX of the Education Amendments of the 1972 Civil Rights Act (Title IX), the Violence Against Women Act Reauthorization of 2013 ( VAWA ), and related legislation. The Title IX Coordinator leads outreach efforts and coalesces stakeholders around compliance issues. As a member of the Office of Institutional Equity, Effectiveness & Success ( IES ), the Director shall foster a diverse, inclusive, and equitable learning and work environment.
The Office of Institutional Equity, Effectiveness and Success ( IES ) advances VCU’s commitment to fostering a more diverse, inclusive and equitable learning and work environment. From equal opportunity and affirmative action; to transformative success and inclusive excellence; IES delivers impactful and data-informed diversity and inclusion programs and strategies, promoting cultural competence, civil discourse and racial justice.
● Serves as the university’s lead liaison for Title IX and is responsible for leading the University’s efforts to comply with federal and local laws, regulations and agency guidance as it relates to civil rights.
● Is responsible for overseeing, designing and directing programs, policies, and procedures to ensure the University’s compliance with sexual harassment, interpersonal and sexual violence under VCU’s policies. This includes primary responsibility to oversee VCU’s compliance and operations pertaining to Title IX.
● Is responsible for the oversight of investigations, reporting, and education, as well as developing robust Outreach Programs, supportive services to parties and the VCU community, as well as communication in the areas listed above. This includes responsibility for overseeing comprehensive efforts to prevent, stop and remedy sexual harassment in all forms.
● Leads and manages the Office staff in conducting Title IX investigations, overseeing campus communication, promotion, and education efforts regarding Title IX and the procedure for filing complaints alleging sexual violence.
● Consults with students, faculty, and staff who report sexual harassment as defined by the Title IX regulations and state laws.
● Manages data collection, maintenance and trend analysis, including reporting on tracking and annual Faculty Senate reports.
● Responsible for providing supervision of all Title IX investigations and Office personnel; and for ensuring institutional accountability in effectively responding to reported concerns and complaints related to Title IX.
● Advises individuals on the complaint process, available resources, and interim measures, if appropriate; and plans the investigation processes, conducts interviews, identifies and collects relevant documentation, analyzes evidence, drafts investigation reports, maintains accurate and thorough investigation files and procedures.
● Ensures broad compliance with legal and institutional Title IX requirements.
● Provides effective and motivational leadership for the unit; guides and oversees the Deputy Title IX Coordinator in their management of day-to-day operations and serves as the reporting supervisor for Investigators.
● Leads Office with transparency, in order to foster ethical and best practice standards.
● Identifies and addresses any systemic problems.
● Reviews investigations and cases; make final determinations at resolution.
● Serves as a resource and provides consultation on issues related to Title IX.
● Identifies and adapts to regulatory changes.
● As necessary, recommends and implements new processes, policies and trainings.
● Leads with honesty and integrity with a high level of ethics and knowledge of industry best practices.
Minimum Hiring Standards
● Experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment and a commitment to doing so at VCU .
● Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to engage diverse populations and exercise excellent judgment with interactions in the university community.
● Excellent public speaking and interpersonal skills.
● Juris Doctorate.
● Ten or more years of professional work experience in positions of increasing responsibility, to include recent job-related experience.
● Professional experience requiring knowledge and application of Titles VI, VII, and IX, The Clery Act, the Violence Against Women Act and related laws and regulations.
● Professional experience building and managing teams and programs.
● Excellent analytical, critical thinking and written communication skills.
● Ability to navigate a fast-paced work environment and challenging work.
● Demonstrated leadership and supervisory experience.
● A strong commitment to ethics, to advancing institutional values, and to social justice.
● Direct experience working with trauma-informed practices.
● Ability to work successfully in both an in-person and remote environment.
Preferred Hiring Standards
● Demonstrated experience fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion ( DEI ) in an academic setting.
● Demonstrated ability to manage outreach and supportive services in a university environment.
● Experience working in a public institution.
● Knowledge of civil rights and applicable Title IX laws and regulations.
● Title IX training and certification.
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range Commensurate with experience Application Process/Additional Information
Applicants are to supply a cover letter, resume/ CV and diversity statement (see below).
As a preeminent national, urban, public research university and academic health center, Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to organizational diversity, equity, and inclusion – an environment where all can thrive in their pursuit of excellence. Applicants are requested to submit a Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (typically between 150-300 words) providing your career aspirations and contributions toward promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Through this statement, you can share how your lived experiences, and academic and professional activities will impact your contribution to VCU’s mission of promoting equity and inclusion. Note: Examples include working with others to further the goals of equity and inclusion; leading in any capacity that tangibly promotes an environment where diversity is welcomed, fostered, and celebrated; creative activity, research, and teaching that promotes equity and parity; advising and mentoring students, and/or initiatives to create a positive and successful organizational experience for traditionally underrepresented staff groups.
Campus Monroe Park Campus Hours/Week 40 Normal Work Days/Hours Monday-Friday Job Open Date 02/10/2021 Posting will close on or before Open Until Filled Yes Job Category Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? Yes Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/103503 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Other Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Community Relations & Institutional Outreach Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond