Director - Undergraduate Engineering Co-Op Program
New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) is seeking a Director of the Undergraduate Engineering Co-Op Program. Under the supervision of the Career Development Services (CDS) Executive Director and working closely and directly with the Dean of the Newark College of Engineering (NCE) and the Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs and Student Services, the Director will develop, manage, and oversee the new, formal, undergraduate engineering Co-op Program. The Director manages the strategic, programmatic and operational functions related to the formal undergraduate engineering Co-op Program at NJIT. This effort include using and leveraging existing campus-wide initiatives and industrial connections, developing new opportunities to forge strategic partnerships with employer partners, and coordinating co-op opportunities with the academic units of the Newark College of Engineering (NCE). The Director is providing vision, leadership, creativity, and accountability for increasing student participation in the formal undergraduate engineering Co-op program. The Director supervises personnel dedicated to the program (currently an Assistant Director) and is supported with funding and human resources from within CDS. The Director develops qualitative and quantitative milestones and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for the Co-op engineering program for approval, and reports periodically on progress toward meeting them. In time, the responsibilities of the Director may be expanded to include co-op education for graduate students.
Program Development and Implementation • Provide leadership, expertise, and insight in the planning for a high quality-formal undergraduate co-op program for all engineering disciplines in NCE. • Work closely with academic advisors and faculty to ensure the Program meets the educational objectives of the academic units. • Leverage the resources of existing CDS specialized work teams in the delivery of professionally managed career advisement, employer development, experiential education, and career related on-campus events. • Work with the Executive Director and other employer relations team members to develop strategic plans focusing on growing full-time six month NCE undergraduate co-op work experience opportunities across all NCE majors. • Work with the employer relations team to determine strategy, messaging, target audiences, communications and tracking methods. • Identify and cultivate relationships with prospective co-op employers • Work in collaboration with NCE academic units and the CDS student success team to increase NCE undergraduate student co-op participation.
• Develop and maintain relationships with NCE departments as these pertain to the undergraduate co-op program. • Communicate and meet regularly with NCE representatives to review progress on shared tasks and initiatives as they relate to increasing co-op student and employer participation. • Collaborate with NCE departments to coordinate the promotion of the co-op program and opportunities to students. • Collaborate with NCE to leverage existing employer relationships to increase co-op
- Develop strategies for student recruitment and participation in the Co-op Program. • Develop strategies for increasing Co-op work experience opportunities available for NCE students. • Ensure student and employer satisfaction with the Program. • Ensure that the Co-op Program complies with NJIT’s objectives and policies in the areas of inclusion, diversity and nondiscrimination. • Host prospective employer engagement events on campus and off-site. Leverage the connections of the NCE Board of Visitors to increase the number of participating employers. • Ensure that students are well-prepared in the areas of co-op search techniques, resume development and distribution, and interview preparation. • Ensure the proper pairing of students with employers and resolve any issues stemming from such
- Work with Executive Director and other stakeholders in developing and implementing assessment metrics and KPIs as related to the overall university and college vision, goals, and objectives for determining program success. • Provide periodically oral and written reports detailing the milestones and KPIs of the Program, as well as progress made toward meeting
- Master’s degree from a mainstream university/college in a related field. o Minimum five years’ experience in a four- year university career services organization, or in an academic department with responsibility for administering a mainstream, structured co-op program. o Experience working with students, faculty, staff, alumni, and employers with minimal direct supervision. o Demonstrated leadership and business relationship building skills and experience. • Accomplished oral and written communication skills along with presentation and interpersonal skills. • Computer proficiency in a Windows and MS Office Professional Suite environment. • Experience with a Career Center CRM
- Professional experience with a co-op program in a major metropolitan area. o Experience with Handshake, Symplicity or other specialized platforms. o At least one engineering or engineering technology academic degree. o Documented experience as an author of reports, presentations, demonstrations or archived papers on cooperative education.
Applications must be submitted to https://njit.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?site=1&id=2040. Questions may be directed to the search committee chair, Taha Marhaba Marhaba@njit.edu
As an EEO employer NJIT is committed to building a diverse and inclusive teaching, research, and working environment and strongly encourages applications from individuals with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women.
Diversity is a core value of NJIT and we are committed to make diversity, equity and inclusion, part of everything we do. We celebrate the diversity of our university community and recognize the cultural and personal differences. We strive to cultivate an inclusive campus culture that promotes excellence among our faculty, staff and students. Building a robust and diverse community is critical to NJIT’s continuing status as a premier institution of higher education and a leading polytechnic university.