Reporting to the Senior Web Accessibility Solutions Designer in Virginia Tech’s Technology-enhanced Learning and Online Strategies (TLOS) unit, the person filling this position will assist the Accessible Technologies (AT) group in providing guidance, consultation, and training to campus units in designing accessible content and fostering a community of developers and content creators committed to universal design and inclusivity.
This person will work with the Senior Web Accessibility Solutions Designer to assist design and development teams in remediating accessibility issues and providing professional development opportunities to guide proactive accessible design. They will collaboratively audit and assess electronic and information technology (EIT) for compliance with information technology accessibility standards and university policy.
- Both independently and collaboratively, conduct in-depth Section 508/WCAG compliance assessments via manual reviews and using automated testing tools and assistive technologies
- Compile reports concerning failures in Section 508/WCAG compliance and ways to remediate and make recommendations regarding prioritization of remediation efforts
- Review Section 508/WCAG compliance defects with developers and discuss possible resolutions
- Monitor resolution of Section 508/WCAG compliance violations
- Participate in relevant professional communities to stay abreast of new technologies and best practices in the field
- Participate in the continued development and refinement of TLOS:AT operations
- Bachelor's degree in information science, computer science, instructional design, learning technology, assistive technology or similar field
- Demonstrated experience working in the field of web accessibility
- Deep understanding of accessibility standards, such as the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and Section 508
- Experience evaluating the accessibility of EIT resources (web-based applications, services, content, etc.) via manual reviews and using automated testing tools and assistive technologies (e.g. Jaws, NVDA, Voiceover)
- Strong organization and project management skills to effectively manage multiple projects and competing priorities and deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in teams
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills
- Certification as a Certified Professional in Web Accessibility (CPWA) by the International Association of Accessibility Professionals (IAAP), Department of Homeland Security Section 508 Trusted Tester Certification, or related certifications in Accessibility
- Ability to use a wide variety of popular assistive technologies (e.g. Dragon NaturallySpeaking, ZoomText, and Read&Write)
- Experience performing accessibility remediations of documents (e.g. PDF, Word, PPT, Excel)
- Demonstrated ability to convey complex technical information to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience developing and/or testing highly dynamic interactive web content that makes use of the technologies described in the Accessible Rich Internet Applications (ARIA) specification and associated working group notes
- Experience in higher education
- Experience with learning management systems and web conferencing technologies
- Experience with development and/or accessibility testing of mobile apps
- Experience working and collaborating with people with disabilities
$57,000 - $62,000
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Brittany Kessler at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: February 9, 2021
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Academic Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Instructional Technology & Design (Campus) Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Computer Services & Information Technology Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg