Part-Time Assistant II, Biotechnology Lab
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance .
Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-Montgomery
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of seven colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, is continuously named Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College–Montgomery, the premiere student-centered educational institution in Montgomery County, serves The Woodlands and Conroe communities. LSC–Montgomery provides a relaxing and conducive learning atmosphere while offering leisure learning opportunities, individual classes, and unique programs such as radiologic technology, physical therapy, and biotechnology.
Campus address is 3200 College Park Drive, Conroe, TX 77384.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Under moderate supervision, this position is responsible for multiple functions in Biotechnology laboratory preparation. Activities involve a variety of routine tasks such as cleaning glassware, and cleaning and maintaining the laboratory, and many non-routine tasks that require independent judgment to resolve lab-related issues. The position requires the dependable and accurate preparation of materials, equipment, reagents and buffers to exacting specifications required for successful student laboratory investigations. Responsibilities may include tracking laboratory chemicals, supplies and equipment. Position refers problems to experts as needed.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Supports faculty, staff and the lab coordinator in the timely and accurate preparation of labs for multiple biotechnology classes including Intro to Biotechnology, Lab Methods and Techniques, Lab Instrumentation, Molecular Biology Techniques, Medical Biotechnology, Principles of Biochemistry and Cell Culture Techniques
- Operates and maintains laboratory equipment including autoclaves, centrifuges, incubators, PCR equipment, spectrophotometers, HPLC equipment, 96 well plate reader and washer, laminar flow hoods, fume hoods, microscopes and various other biotech related lab equipment
- Prepares complex chemical and microbiological reagents according to standards and protocols
- Ensures that safety and quality assurance practices are followed
- Provides assistance in proper disposal of chemical and biohazardous waste
- Provides assistance with yearly computerized laboratory supplies and equipment inventory
- Provides routine lab support including cleaning equipment and cleaning, organizing and restocking of labs, washing glassware and tracking supplies inventory
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to achieve precise micropipetting and accurate weighing and measuring
- Ability to follow laboratory procedures, manuals and SOPs
- Must be computer literate and able to use Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Strong math and chemistry skills
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds
- Ability to work well both individually and as part of a team
- Effective communication skills with students, faculty, staff, and Program Director
- Flexible and creative to perform multiple tasks simultaneously
The work requires some physical exertion, such as long periods of standing; recurring bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, or similar activities; or ability to lift moderately heavy items, such as boxes of supplies or equipment. The work may require specific, but common, physical characteristics and abilities, such as above average agility and dexterity
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- The work involves moderate regular exposure to hazardous items such as chemical, biological, and electrical hazards. This exposure requires special safety precautions. Employees may be required to use protective clothing or gear, such as masks, lab coats, goggles, gloves, or shields.
- Working days and hours will vary based on availability and lab needs
High school diploma with some college and previous lab experience, or 2nd year or higher Biotechnology student
Hourly Pay Rate is $11.78
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver, participation in a tax deferred retirement plan and more.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume. You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Part Time jobs in Conroe
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Part Time jobs in Conroe
- Chemistry & Biochemistry Not specified Part Time jobs in Conroe
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Part Time jobs in Conroe
- Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Conroe