Staff Assistant (1729)
Under the supervision of the Chair, the staff assistant manages the academic and financial needs of the Department, serves as the assistant to the Chair, and provides support to faculty, staff, and students within the Department.
- Assistant to the Chair: Handles a wide variety of tasks to support the Chair of the department. Duties include: drafting memoranda and correspondence; responding to inquiries; coordinating faculty searches; planning events; advising Chair and other faculty on department, school, and university policies and procedures; and managing the Chair’s calendar.
- Course Scheduling, Faculty Support & Financial Processing: Assists with the preparation of the academic schedule; submits curriculum changes and coordinates adjunct faculty selection, hiring, and reappointments. Monitors department budget; reconciles expenses and processes reimbursement.
- Other duties as assigned.
- The Staff Assistant reports directly to the Chair of the Department of Justice, Law and Criminology
- The position also co-supervises work study students
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
- Specialist A
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent in education, training, or experience
- At least 2 years of office or administrative support experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Effective time management and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with diverse constituencies at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work independently
- Must be knowledgeable in the use of computers and be able to use the Microsoft Office suite, including Excel
Preferred Education and Experience
- Associate's degree
- Experience in a higher education setting
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on the successful completion of a background check
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Academic Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Other Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.