Functions independently as Office Manager of the Psychological Services Center using an in-depth understanding of the established policies and procedures of the PSC and the profession of clinical psychology, once trained. In close consultation with director, uses guidelines, handles unusual situations, and applies professional and legal standards to the handling of records and communications.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
Serves as Office Manager of the Psychological Services Center ( PSC ) and
assistant to the Director of PSC . Screens and schedules initial intake appointments for clients (approximately 150 per year from the surrounding community and students, staff, and faculty from the University). Supervises initial and continuing client contacts made by graduate students, providing feedback to Director regarding the timeliness and appropriateness of graduate student clinicians’ contact with clients. Conducts entry of client data into Access database. Maintains highly confidential client information and files in electronic and hard copy form. Serves as a liaison between the clinic, internal staff, and external departments and outside agencies.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
1. High school graduation or equivalent
2. Twenty-four (24) months of clerical/office support work experience comparable to that performed at the Office Support Specialist level of this series or in other positions of comparable responsibility
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
Effective communication skills in person and by phone, especially with regard to providing answers to inquiries about the clinic. Ability to exercise judgment about when to consult the Director regarding client crises. Ability to exercise judgment about when to consult the Director regarding clients and graduate student clinicians. Problem resolution skills for the interpretation, explanation, and justification of administrative policies and procedures. Ability to maintain paper and electronic records and files as well as produce and proofread written materials. Ability to access and utilize a variety of Microsoft software packages as well as electronic health record software. Ability to work under time deadlines.
M-F 8:00 - 4:30
Commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants.
Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this particular position.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from firstname.lastname@example.org and CivilServiceTesting@niu.edu. Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The information you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- ALL QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL BE SCHEDULED TO COME TO THE NIU DEKALB CAMPUS TO TAKE A STATE UNIVERSITIES CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATION . At the time of testing, you will be required to present a photo ID. NOTE : If you have previously tested for this classification and wish to rewrite the exam to improve your score and register position, please contact the Civil Service Testing Office by the posting deadline.
- Required documentation noted in the posting such as driver’s license, licensures, or certifications MUST be presented at the time of examination.
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- After testing of all qualified applicants has been completed for this position, the names with the top three scores will be referred to the hiring department for interview.
- Click on Office Manager for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Please click Human Resource Services – Benefits for detailed information about Northern Illinois University’s benefits package.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Link to Department Homepage
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
Is Background Check Required
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form . For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Education ( AAEOE ) at email@example.com .
Clery Act Information
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * If applicable, have you attached a copy of your DD214, DD215,
NGB22, or DD256 for consideration of Veterans Preference Points?
The copy submitted should reflect the status of discharge in order
to be considered.
- Not Applicable
- * Do you have a certification such as Business/Administrative
Technology, Bookkeeping Office Assistant, Office Specialist,
Customer Service, etc. or successful completion of 30-59 semester
hours in any field? (Please upload an unofficial copy of your
transcript or certificate.)
- * Do you have an Associates degree or higher degree in any
field or concentration? (Please upload an unofficial copy of your
- * Please specify the years of work experience involving
administrative support work (experience that supports the
day-to-day operations of an office or organization) or supervising
employee(s) or student(s) or project management experience.
- Less than 1 year
- 1-2 years
- 2-3 years
- More than 3 years
- * Please provide the name of the employer and the dates of
employment where you gained this experience. Please note that this
information must be verified on an NIU application and/or
(Open Ended Question)
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- List of at least 3 References
- Military Discharge Documents ONLY (DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256)
- Transcripts (unofficial with official required at hire)
- Transcripts #2 (unofficial with official required at hire)
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Academic Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Other Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb