Carpenter Shop Supervisor
Carpenter Shop Supervisor
Department: Facilities Operations
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Employee Type: Supervisory
Posting Date: 12/07/2020
Union Representation: Not Applicable
Posting Number: AS020P
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged. Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Coordinates and supervises general carpentry/door/window/lock/roof/glass related maintenance and repairs for all campus buildings, facilities and housing.
- Generates and receives carpentry, door and lock work orders
from the work control desk; schedules work assignments, monitors
progress and quality of work.
- Evaluates work projects.
- Determines and coordinates staffing requirements.
- Maintains records of completed work.
- Administers safe operating practices/procedures and maintains a
safe and efficient working environment.
- Assists in the hiring and evaluation of personnel.
- Trains personnel and approves time off, monitors work
performance, resolves employee issues and keeps morale
- Coordinates work schedule with supervisors of other maintenance
trade groups and outside contractors.
- Performs all duties in a safe and professional manner and in
accordance with established Vassar College and departmental
policies and procedures.
- Inspects, monitors and supervises contractor work
- Ensures timely completion of jobs and smooth departmental
- Orders equipment and supplies as necessary.
- Works cooperatively with others and accepts direction from
- Performs other duties as assigned to assist the department in
obtaining and maintaining its mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma, vocational training or equivalent
- Minimum of 5 years experience of project management with
- Ten years of carpentry trade shop supervision experience
- Prior supervisory and project management experience
- Must be knowledgeable in the use of various hand and power
tools and their maintenance to be able to supervise the
- Knowledge of carpentry methods and mathematics
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Must be available for emergency maintenance calls after hours, on evenings and weekends.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format. Review of applications will begin immediately. If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources, 845-437-5820.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/1669.