Multimedia Content & Communications Specialist
Classification: Public Affairs / Communications Specialist II
Department Name: University Advancement
Job Number: MB2020-PD2656
Status: Open Until FilledApply today! Application Screening Begins: Monday, January 4, 2021
Priority Screening Date: 01/03/2021
Recruitment Status: Apply today! Application Screening Begins: Monday, January 4, 2021
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement, California State University, Monterey Bay (WWW.CSUMB.EDU) is a comprehensive, mid-sized four-year university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives by emphasizing project-based learning, requiring service learning, and promoting multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond the campus community. CSUMB is both an MSI and HSI and has a vibrant, diverse student body of nearly 7000 students and growing. Our faculty and staff, many of whom live in campus housing, appreciate living and working about one mile from the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, we offer excellent benefits, including housing, and competitive salaries for our faculty and staff. During our 25th Silver Anniversary Celebration in 2019-20, we will complete two major building projects: the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences and the Student Union. By 2030, CSUMB's sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral.
Under the general direction of the Director of Communications & Marketing, the Multimedia Content & Communications Specialist serves as the first point-of-contact for University Communication's creative team for photography, videography and publishing projects and is a key support member for design and layout activities. The Specialist assists in maintaining the university's print and digital publications and collateral while primarily creating and maintaining visual, design and layout of assets in print and digital form for a verity of internal campus clients and university marketing materials. Also, performs a variety of administrative and technical duties such as assists with brand cohesion activities, maintains databases and archive of assets, utilizes graphic design skills to create assets and layout publications, copywriting of content, editing/proofreading content submitted by others, and coordinates the content elements of a product.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Utilizes graphic design, layout, web design, photography and videography skills to create content elements and finished products in print and digital mediums. Creates rich content that blends on/off life publication with other content to enhance the reader/user experience and understating of university stories, messages, and services.
- Creates, curates, produces, posts and publishes information (including written content, graphics design, photos and videos) that keep the community abreast of current CSUMB news, happenings and events, that are on brand and message for the University in order to reach goals and objectives (includes the creation of a mix of promotional, collateral, advertising, and other materials).
- Creates and distributes marketing content including invitations, publications, web content and email. Content creation includes writing copy, editing, correcting and sizing photos, web objects and editing HTML snippets and tags to fix display issues and create desired content design. Troubleshoots and corrects web content display errors, managers navigation structure, reviews analytics, display and accessibility issues and broken link reports to correct problems and maximize user experience.
- Assigns, tracks and coordinates complex projects for publication content through production using work-flow processing tools and project management strategies. Ensures all stakeholders meet established and agreed-upon deadlines. Oversees publications project schedules, monitors budgets and anticipates deadlines and approvals. Revises schedules as needed. Conducts regular status meetings. Works with job owners to gather and approve content. Archives finished projects in accordance with records retention schedules and customary practices. Creates and maintains reports.
- Manages university brand elements and requests for brand utilization recommends and creates solutions for out-of-brand materials in print and digital formats. Assists in the maintenance, documentation, and evolution of the university brand standards.
- Works with print and broadcast media to book advertising and follow media schedules.
- Works with printers and contractors to create finished products that meet standards.
- Performs other job-related duties and special projects as assigned and performs duties for content creation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge: Working knowledge of and ability to apply standard theories, practices, principles and techniques related to communications in the public affairs, media, marketing, and/or sports information areas. Thorough knowledge of and ability to use effectively media outlets including planning media coverage and media publicity campaigns for the university and events. Thorough knowledge of web communication techniques, vehicles and formats. Working knowledge of copyright and other applicable laws pertaining to publications and the media. Knowledge of interview techniques and the ability to define and deliver media messages. Working knowledge of marketing and research techniques and methods. Working knowledge of applicable software packages.
Skills: Strong story development and journalistic writing skills, as well as advanced editorial skills. Exceptional interpersonal skills, including strong public speaking, listening and interpretive skills. Strong writing and editing skills to quickly produce clear and concise standard documents for internal and external publication.
Ability to: to build and manage more sophisticated media contacts; effectively use web technology to achieve communication goals; analyze and select pertinent facts and integrate them into communication vehicles; apply market research to identify communication needs and target audiences; provide lead work direction; appropriately handle sensitive and confidential information. Demonstrated ability to keep abreast of campus events and subject matter expertise in relation to current events to identify and capitalize on media opportunities that will promote the university and increase positive media coverage.
Entry to this classification requires knowledge of the fundamentals of public affairs and/or media relations, and/or some exposure to marketing and marketing research. This background normally is obtained through a college degree, which includes relevant coursework in the field, and up to two years of related professional or technical experience. In addition, strong written and verbal communication skills with a solid foundation in grammar, spelling, and the composition of various communication vehicles are essential to initial entry to this classification.
Able to design visual and multimedia elements in a verity of platforms for both on and off line publication and dissemination. Advanced knowledge of design principals for print and digital mediums. Advanced knowledge to capture, edit, adjust, and publish moving and still images - ability to create final products form non-linier content acquisition methods.
Strong proofreading skills with a thorough knowledge of leading style guide manuals. Outstanding time management skills; ability to coordinate logistics and execute all project details with an awareness of deadlines and attention to detail. Skills and flexibility to work cooperatively as a team member in a busy office.
Experience as a social media and web marketing contributor in a fast-paced environment. Ability to create and manage marketing and messaging campaigns around using standard tools, tactics, and principles. Experience analyzing analytics and making both quantitative and qualitative assessments. Able to manage a team of student assistants for content acquisition and creation.
Working knowledge of social media management systems (e.g. Hootsuite). Working knowledge of image processing (e.g. Lightroom), graphic design (e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator) and video post-production (e.g. Premier). Working knowledge of HTML, able to correct display issues. Working knowledge of web contact management systems (e.g. Terminal Four). Working knowledge of email marketing systems (e.g. Salesforce Marketing Cloud).
Proven ability to learn new systems in a fast-paced environment. Ability to work under the pressure of tight deadlines. Advanced proficiency with of cloud computing, productivity and collaboration tools (e.g. Google Apps).
Working knowledge of agency project management software (e.g. Wrike). Technical fluency with Microsoft Office Professional Suite; Google G-Suite; Oracle-PeopleSoft/ Common Management System or equivalent information systems; drives; and internet browsers. Highly desirable: Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to CSUMB’s Founding Vision Statement.
Special Conditions of Employment:
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
- The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
- Must possess and maintain a valid license to drive in the State of California, pass the Defensive Training Class, and be insurable under the University’s liability coverage.
- May require occasional evenings and/or weekend work.
Office environment with standard equipment and tasks. Position requires working at a computer and desk for extended periods of time. Requires travel between campus offices and off-campus locations.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Type of Appointment: Full-Time, Probationary
- Collective Bargaining Unit: Clerical & Administrative Support Services (CSUEU)
- Anticipated Campus Hiring Salary: Low $4,000’s/month
- CSU Salary Range
- FLSA Status: Exempt
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, dental & vision plans; a fee waiver education program; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 14 paid holidays a year. For more information, visit: CSU Benefits R09. Additionally, University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability, visit: Employee Housing.
How to Apply:
To apply, visit https://csumb.peopleadmin.com/postings/6057
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application prior to the priority screen date found at csumb.edu/jobs. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned.
CSUMB is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting University Personnel at (831) 582-3389. All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), the Cal State University, Monterey Bay Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at: https://csumb.edu/clery
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.