Biology Instructor - Full-time, Tenure-track
Biology Instructor - Full-time, Tenure-track
Salary: $67,800.00 - $107,795.00 Annually
Closing Date: 3/7/2021
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Kentfield & Indian Valley (Novato) Campuses, CA
ANTICIPATED HIRE DATE: Fall Semester (August) 2021Two (2) Positions Available
We are accepting applications for two (2) full-time, tenure-track Biology Instructor positions. You need only apply once to be considered for both positions.
Due to COVID-19, most of College of Marin's operations and instruction are taking place remotely until further notice, with the exception of positions deemed essential. At this time, applicants should be prepared that, if selected to interview for a position at the College, all interviews will be held remotely.
College of Marin is looking for full-time Biology faculty who:
- advocate for students and have a student-centered approach to education;
- have the ability to inspire intellectual curiosity and academic excellence in their students;
- have a commitment to equity and social justice;
- have experience/commitment to educating basic skills, ESL, generation 1.5 students, underrepresented minorities, students with disabilities, and veterans;
- are willing to learn/use best practices and innovative pedagogies such as learning communities, and contextualized or collaborative learning;
- are committed to maximizing effective uses of technology in their teaching both in class or through distance education;
- are willing to work collaboratively;
- have experience with student learning outcomes assessment.
College of Marin strives to embrace diversity in all forms; it strives to be an inclusive community that fosters an open, enlightened and productive environment and demonstrates sensitivity to and respect for a diverse population.
COM serves a county population of approximately 250,000 residents. Based on fall 2019 credit enrollment data, the diversity of students at the college includes greater representation than the county with regards to enrollment by Hispanic/Latino (30% of enrollment), Asian (8%), Black/African American (3%), and Multi-racial (7%) students.
College of Marin is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of, or perception of, race, ethnic group identification, ancestry, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, physical disability, mental disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, genetic information, genetic condition, status as a veteran, and is subject to Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended, Civil Rights Act of 1991, Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. In accordance with Executive Order 11246 (as amended), COM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
FOREIGN DEGREE HOLDERS
Applicants Who Hold Degrees Obtained Outside the U.S.: Please see the Foreign Degree Holder section below to ensure that you are attaching a foreign credential evaluation if necessary.
Although, during the COVID-19 pandemic, College of Marin is providing instruction almost exclusively remotely, once normal operations resume all faculty members must be available to provide instruction in the classroom and in person. Please note that the College does not offer online-only teaching assignments.
- Provide effective classroom and laboratory instruction in any Biology courses, including both lecture and laboratory components, and using methods and materials appropriate to the subject matter;
- Prepare and evaluate all class assignments and examinations;
- Advise, assist and evaluate student performance and learning outcomes;
- Participate in program activities including curriculum development, evaluation and decision-making, program planning, new teaching and learning methods, and resource development;
- Contribute to development of program policies and procedures;
- Participate in college professional or shared governance committees and in departmental activities such as maintaining course outlines, program review, student learning outcomes assessment, other curricular development, etc.
- Maintain and post office hours;
- Maintain and submit accurate student records in a timely manner as required;
- Maintain currency and knowledge in assigned area of responsibility;
- Maintain appropriate standards of professional conduct and ethics.
Requirements & Desirables
- A Master's degree in any Biological Science; or
- A Bachelor's degree in any Biological Science AND a Master's degree in Biochemistry, Biophysics, or Marine Science; or
- The equivalent*; and
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and the campus community.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES (Desirable Attributes & Skills)
- Classroom and laboratory instructional experience in the discipline.
- Expertise in General Biology, Human Anatomy, and Human Physiology.
- Competencies in curriculum and course development, teaching and learning theory, information resources, and assessing student learning outcomes; and, assisting student to develop critical thinking skills.
- Familiarity with and willingness and ability to use multiple teaching methods, including computer based learning.
- Ability and enthusiasm to use teaching methods to engage students and encourage them to be motivated self-learners.
- Knowledge, training and experience with online pedagogy and technology.
- Knowledge of and skill in use of computer technologies for educational purposes, including computer-based learning.
- Commitment to the teaching profession, its goals and ideals, and enthusiasm for the mission of the College of Marin.
- Understanding equity as the recognition of historical and systemic disparities in opportunity and outcomes and providing the resources necessary to address those disparities.
- Understanding of contemporary equity and diversity concepts and issues in a community college setting.
- Experience in developing equity focused practices and educational programming/curriculum with and for diverse student populations.
- Evidence of commitment to professional growth and service which may include, but is not limited to, membership in professional organizations, presenting workshops, attending conferences or training, development of curriculum and instructional materials, membership in school/college committees or production of classroom-based research.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively and professionally with the campus community.
Prior to employment, the selected candidate will be required to complete the following:
- In accordance with Federal Law all employees must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
- Criminal Justice/Fingerprint Clearance.
- California Education Code, Section 87408.6 requires persons employed by a community college in an academic or classified position to submit to a TB risk assessment developed by CDPH and CTCA and, if risk factors are present, an examination to determine that he or she is free of infectious TB; initially upon hire and every four years thereafter.
- Certificated candidates who have not previously been employed in an academic position in California will be required to provide a medical certificate from a licensed physician showing that the candidate is free from any communicable disease unfitting the candidate to instruct or associate with students. The medical exam shall have been conducted not more than six months before submission of the certificate and shall be at the expense of the candidate. (Ed. Code Section 87408.6)
- DISASTER SERVICE WORKERS: All Marin Community College District (MCCD) employees are designated Disaster Service Workers through state and local law (California Government Code Section 3100-3109). Employment with the MCCD requires the affirmation of a loyalty oath to this effect. Employees are required to complete all Disaster Service Worker-related training as assigned, and to return to work as ordered in the event of an emergency. For more information, please see the MCCD Emergency Operations Plan.
- Candidates applying for positions with the Marin Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
The following documents must be attached to your application in order to render it complete. Use the Attachment Type indicated in parentheses when making your attachments.
- Cover Letter (cover letter)
- Resume (resume)
- Complete copy of college transcript conferring Bachelor's degree (bachelor's transcript)
- Complete copy of college transcript conferring Master's degree (master's transcript)
- STATEMENT - Please provide a response to the following prompt (one page maximum; other):
(If you hold additional degrees beyond the Master's level, please attach a copy of your transcript conferring these degrees as well. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable for application purposes, as long as they confer the degree and show the coursework taken and grades achieved. An official transcript would be required upon hire.)
FOREIGN DEGREE HOLDERS:
Where applicable, foreign degree credentials must be evaluated by a third party to determine the equivalent U.S. degree and major. Please review the following points carefully to determine whether you must submit a Foreign Credential Evaluation (FCE) with your application. Evaluations should provide the name of the institution attended, a description of your credentials, the major of study, and the U.S. equivalent for each credential. For a list of evaluating agencies, visit the State of California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
- If you satisfy the minimum educational requirement with a degree that was granted in the U.S., but your previous degree(s) was obtained from a foreign institution, you do not need to attach a Foreign Credential Evaluation (FCE) for your previous degree(s). You must, however, attach a copy of a (translated) transcript for the previous degree. For additional clarification of acceptable transcripts, please contact Human Resources.
- If your degree that satisfies the minimum educational requirement was obtained from a foreign institution, you must submit an FCE for that degree and any other foreign degrees leading up to it.
- If you are asserting equivalence (see Minimum Qualifications for Faculty/Administrators (Download PDF reader) on the Human Resources web site) because your degree does not specifically match the minimum educational requirements as listed and any of your degrees was obtained outside the U.S., you must attach an FCE for your foreign degree(s).
Supplemental & Salary Information
BARGAINING UNIT & RETIREMENT PLAN
UPM - Full-time Faculty:
Employees in this position classification are represented by the United Professors of Marin (UPM/AFT 1610). Faculty members are required to comply fully with the United Professors of Marin Collective Bargaining Agreement, including payment of union dues or charitable contributions. General information regarding rights and responsibilities under the Agreement can be found in the Collective Bargaining Agreements section of our Human Resources site. Full-time UPM employees are also members of the California State Teachers' Retirement System (CalSTRS).
FLSA Status: Exempt
Please refer to our Human Resources web site for salary schedules. Step 14 is the highest entering step for permanent teachers new to the District. Salary placement is non-negotiable and is dependent upon verified background and experience.
Applications must include the documents listed in the Required Documents section to be rendered complete; incomplete applications will not be accepted. Screening will begin after the application deadline, and applicants will be notified of their status, either way, thereafter. Applicants selected to interview will be contacted to schedule an interview appointment with the screening committee, and those who are forwarded by the committee following the first interview may be invited for a second interview.
To apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/collegeofmarin/jobs/2971659/biology-instructor-full-time-tenure-track?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs