Assistant Professor of Packaging
UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-STOUT
Assistant Professor of Packaging (Job ID 16932)
The Engineering and Technology Department (E&T) invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track Assistant Professor of Packaging. The packaging program, in the E&T at UW-Stout, is one of only a handful of nationally recognized undergraduate programs in Packaging and awards 4-year bachelor’s degrees upon the completion of a hands-on, applied-learning-focused curriculum. The successful candidate will be expected to teach in multiple areas in the packaging program but specializing in the fields listed below. The anticipated start date is August 20, 2021.
This job announcement is being announced simultaneously with the Lecturer of Packaging (Job ID 16935). Vacancy will be filled with either one (1) Assistant Professor or one (1) Lecturer. More information below in the How to Apply section.
Required of all candidates
- One of the following by employment start date
- PhD with one degree in Packaging or in area of teaching responsibilities (see below), or
- Master of Science in an engineering or technology discipline, AND four (4) or more years of experience in industry (or a similar environment) in the areas of teaching responsibilities (see below)
- Ability to teach in a combined lecture and lab environment
- Excellence in oral and written communication in English
- Teach courses related to the following topics (depending on experience and qualifications):
- Packaging Materials
- Packaging Machinery
- Consumer Packaging
- Packaging Development and Research
- Packaging Dynamics
- Establish and maintain laboratories and equipment
- Develop, maintain contacts, and liaison with industry and professional associations
- Assess student learning
- Develop curriculum
- Advise students
- Actively engage in research
- Participate in university service activities
The Engineering and Technology (E&T) Department is one of seven departments in the College of Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, and Management (CSTEMM). The department has approximately 40 full-time faculty and staff, four of whom are full-time technicians. The department provides courses for its well-established and accredited undergraduate programs in Computer & Electrical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering (B.S. and M.S.), Mechanical Engineering, Plastics Engineering, Engineering Technology, and Packaging, plus other programs throughout the University.
The University of Wisconsin-Stout offers a rich, dynamic and collaborative environment in which to work and grow. A member of the University of Wisconsin system, UW-Stout is unique within the system--it is named after its founder, James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of being Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, a designation which highlights our combination of applied learning, real-world experiences and a solid liberal arts foundation.
UW-Stout offers 49 undergraduate and 22 graduate degrees, including three terminal degrees. The current enrollment is approximately 8,000 students. The UW-Stout campus community enjoys opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration, state-of-the-art facilities, and a modern digital environment. UW-Stout values innovative approaches to solving problems in society and industry, and encourages collaboration within and across disciplines and professions.
All undergraduate students participating in traditional, on campus-based programs are issued laptops. Faculty use the university’s online course delivery system and must be available for online interactions and/or alternate time frames for teaching. Faculty members teach, advise students, conduct research, assess student learning and engage in service activities.
Menomonie, Wisconsin, is a town of 16,000 located in the beautiful Chippewa River Valley, 25 miles west of Eau Claire and 60 miles east of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and Saint Paul.
More information about the UW-Stout community and region: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community
Facts and data about the university: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/meet-our-leadership/institutional-accreditation/fact-book
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
- Benefit Details: http://www.uwsa.edu/ohrwd/benefits/summaries/fasl.pdf
- Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout is committed to inclusive excellence and is actively seeking applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans and individuals with disabilities.
An offer of employment is contingent upon the final candidate passing a criminal background check and a reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Official transcripts required at time of hire.
A successful candidate must have authorization to work within the United States as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
HOW TO APPLY
This job announcement is being announced simultaneously with Job #16935; please note only one (1) vacancy exists. Having two position vacancy listings allows the Engineering Department to consider candidates with a different set of credentials for this particular vacancy.
- Applicants who wish to be considered for the faculty, tenure-track position need to apply to:
- Assistant Professor of Packaging (Job ID 16932) via https://jobs.uwstout.edu/assistant-professor-of-packaging-job-id-16932/job/15439172
- Applicants who wish to be considered for the lecturer, academic staff position need to apply to:
- Lecturer of Packaging (Job ID 16935) via https://jobs.uwstout.edu/lecturer-of-packaging-job-id-16935/job/15439174
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application for the position or positions they wish to be considered for.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Required application materials:
- Cover letter (2 pages or less), addressing how you meet the qualifications listed above
- Curriculum vitae (4 pages or less)
- Minimum of three (3) professional references; including names and contact information
- Unofficial copies of transcripts of bachelor’s, and master’s and/or doctorate degrees (if applicable)
- Inclusivity statement: Separate (1-page or less) document demonstrating your commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion that supports student success
To ensure consideration, complete applications must be submitted online by 11:59 PM CDT on Sunday, March 14, 2021. Screening of applications may continue until the position is filled.
Before starting the online application process we recommend you review the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.wisc.edu/hrs/page.php?id=21900
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Robert Meisner
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Diane Weisenbeck
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Menomonie
- Education Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Menomonie
- Curriculum & Instruction Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Menomonie
- Instructional Technology & Design Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Menomonie