Assistant Professor of Education
Salary and Terms: Full-time, nine month* fixed term position. Salary placement is based on experience.
Appointment Date: August 16, 2021
Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin March 9, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled.
Position Description: The faculty member will teach secondary pedagogy and methods courses in the School of Education licensure programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels, including courses taught both on campus and online. Duties will include student advising, supervision of field experiences, contribution to student growth and development, participation in department and institutional activities, committee assignments, evaluating student performance, scholarly activities, and service to the University and community. Duties may also include assessment, accreditation, edTPA, and licensure support. SMSU, in its commitment to meeting the service needs of the region, expects faculty to engage in regional service, education or study as part of their community service responsibility.
- An earned doctorate in an Education field; ABD considered.
- Previous or current licensure and experience in a secondary/K-12 content area in Education is required; preference given for additional licensures.
- Three years teaching experience in a P-12 school is required.
- Demonstrated commitment or proven strategies for fostering a diverse and inclusive environment; demonstrated ability or proven strategies to teach and work with persons from diverse backgrounds.
- Licensed or licensable to teach in the State of Minnesota.
- Knowledge and experience in Web-based instruction.
- Student-centered approach to education and commitment to helping grow the School of Education.
- Faculty experience in a teacher education program.
- Experience with assessment, accreditation, and licensure.
- Experience with edTPA and Livetext.
- Experience in supervision of field experience or mentoring field experience candidates.
- Demonstrated skills in collaboration, consensus building, and achieving mutual goals with colleagues.
- Candidate must have an understanding of and appreciation for liberal education.
The University: Southwest Minnesota State University is one of seven universities in the Minnesota State system. SMSU gives highest priority to excellence in teaching and preparing students to be lifelong learners through quality undergraduate teaching/advising and close student/faculty relationships. Its mission, dating back to 1967, provides access to university-level programs in liberal arts & professional studies. The University has a special commitment to the educational needs of the people in its service region reflected through its curricula, cultural programs, diversity of staff and students, cooperative relationships with the public and private sectors, and regional institutions. The 216-acre campus encompasses 24 modern, interconnected, and accessible buildings. Marshall (pop. 13,000) is the hub of a rich agricultural area and offers a variety of cultural, recreational and educational opportunities. The position is an opportunity to be part of a vibrant, dynamic and growing institution that is searching for exceptionally talented people.
Application Data: Letter of application addressing position qualifications, vita, student evaluations, and transcripts should be attached to your application. To apply, please complete the application at https://smsu.peopleadmin.com/postings/1574 Additional information on Southwest Minnesota State University can be found at: www.SMSU.edu
*Nine Month Appointments- Along with all other Universities that are part of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System, standard faculty appointments are for 168 duty days distributed over any nine consecutive months. The nine months need not align with the traditional academic year and may be changed every two years. Initial faculty appointments at SMSU are expected to be similar to or the same as the academic year unless otherwise indicated on the vacancy notice.
Southwest Minnesota State University is a member of the Minnesota State system and is an equal opportunity educator and employer. The University is committed to affirmative recruitment and encourages applications from women, persons of color, and persons with disabilities. Applicants must be able to lawfully accept employment in the United States. Requests for reasonable accommodation of a disability during the application and/or interview process should be made to the Affirmative Action Office, 507-537-6208. For TTY communications, contact Minnesota Relay Service at 1-800-627-3529. This vacancy notice is available in alternative format upon request.