Visiting Assistant or Associate Professor of Theatre Arts: Musical Theatre
The Theatre Arts department at Marymount Manhattan College (MMC) seeks applications for a Visiting Assistant or Associate Professor of Theatre Arts: Musical Theatre to begin Fall 2021 pending final budget approval. The department seeks a theatre educator with a proven record of leadership and with training and experience that both broadens our programmatic offerings and supports our students of color. The position is a full-time, one-year appointment for 2021-2022 with a 4/4 teaching load, with possibility of course reassignments depending on other administrative responsibilities. This one-year position may convert to tenure-track depending on institutional need and resource availability.
- An MFA or PhD in Acting, Musical Theatre, or Theatre, or an earned bachelor’s degree and equivalent professional experience based on the College’s degree equivalency option. Copies of the degree equivalency policy for Theatre Arts faculty will be made available to appropriate candidates during the application process.
- Record of successful leadership in academic or professional theatre.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other members of the Musical Theatre faculty to advance the department’s pledge to develop and implement recruitment strategies, curriculum, pedagogy, and theatre production practices that are anti-racist, anti-sexist, gender, body, ability and LGBTQIA+ inclusive.
- Professional acting and/or directing experience.
- Full-time or part-time teaching experience at the college level or equivalent.
- Knowledge of diverse voices in musical theatre, including emerging artists.
- Strong organizational and collaborative skills.
- A commitment to pre-professional theatre training within the context of a liberal arts education.
- Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S.
- Experience as an artistic director and/or interest in working on our department-wide production committee.
- Teaching responsibilities include second- and third-year acting through song courses and directing department productions.
- Collaborating with other musical theatre faculty and theatre department leadership to coordinate the musical theatre program, including working to diversify the Musical Theatre curriculum, program, and student body.
- Supervising adjunct faculty, ongoing mentorship of students’ creative and professional development, participation in divisional and college meetings, academic advisement, and ongoing creative and/or scholarly accomplishment.
Application Materials and Process
Applicants should send a cover letter, curriculum vitae, contact information for three references, and the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion statement described below. Additional materials may be requested.
EDI Statement: Candidates should submit a personal statement that details how they have worked to promote diversity, equity and inclusion in previous positions and/or how they would plan to continue doing so at Marymount Manhattan College.
Review of applications will begin on March 1, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled. All applications received prior to this date will be given full consideration. All application materials should be sent to: email@example.com
About MMC’s Theatre program
The Theatre Arts department offers several programs including a BA in Theatre Arts (with five concentrations) and BFA programs in Musical Theatre, Acting, Design & Technical Theatre, and Stage & Production Management. For more information about our Theatre Arts programs: http://www.mmm.edu/departments/theatre-arts/.
About Marymount Manhattan College
Marymount Manhattan College (MMC) is an independent, private, dynamic liberal arts college on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. Faithful to the vision of its founders, the College has a long history of reaching out to diverse populations in need of higher education. The College student body continues to become more diverse as we recruit students from underrepresented groups, including more first generation, LGBTQ, and ethnically diverse students from a national pool. Providing a small college experience in the heart of the city, MMC enrolls approximately 2,000 students with an 11:1 student-teacher ratio. We emphasize community-based and hands-on learning. MMC graduates identify themselves as creative changemakers. At Marymount Manhattan College, we fundamentally believe that creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community is a goal to be fervently pursued and translated into action. We place an importance on culturally competent faculty who demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusivity and will work towards these values. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply. For more information about our commitment to diversity, please go to https://www.mmm.edu/offices/presidents-office/diversity-inclusion.
Marymount Manhattan College is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
Apply for Visiting Assistant or Associate Professor of Theatre Arts: Musical Theatre
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly