Senior Research Analyst
The AidData Senior Research Analyst provides a unique opportunity to work on cutting research in a team setting with other analysts from diverse disciplines and program staff under the direction of the Deputy Director of Research, Policy and Analysis Unit. This position will require significant independent judgment and discretion in the following areas: academic scholarship (leading the conceptualization of new research projects, preparing and executing analytical plans, and producing final research publications, in collaboration with external partners, think tanks, and funders); data collection (designing protocols for primary data collection): research methods (determining the appropriate qualitative and/or quantitative methods for answering research questions of interest); and quality assurance (reviewing and ensuring all research outputs are completed to a high level of quality and consistency with AidData's and the funder's standards). In addition, the Senior Research Analyst will be involved in discussions with prospective funders about new lines of research inquiry, will serve as a representative/ambassador for AidData to the external research community to increase uptake of our data, tools, and methods, as well as with the policy community to disseminate our findings and ensure the salience of our research publications.
• Advanced degree in economics, political science, public policy, statistics, or related field
• Master’s degree with six or more years of experience or Ph.D. with zero or more years of experience
• Advanced knowledge and experience of quantitative methods, including cross-sectional and panel data analysis and, experimental and quasi-experimental methods
• Advanced statistical programming in Stata or R
• Demonstrated ability to design and conduct research
• Excellent analytical skills with ability to research complex issues, evaluate options. consider consequences and recommend solutions
• Experience with client management
• Experience collaborating with other researchers and the global development community
• In-depth knowledge of issues related to international development and/or international relations policy and practice
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively with other analysts and program staff in a demanding and complex work environment, carry out assignments in a timely manner, and adapt to changing situations and priorities
• Record of delivering high quality outputs for international development projects or programs
• Exceptional planning and organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines and minimal supervision
• Dedicated team player with track record of working collaboratively across institutional and/or disciplinary boundaries
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including tact and diplomacy
• Demonstrated ability to translate technical information into jargon-free prose
• Outstanding presentation, communication, and collaborative leadership skills
• Excellent command of the English language, written and spoken
• Ph.D. in economics, political science, public policy, statistics, or related field with five or more years of experience
• Knowledge/experience with qualitative data collection and research methods (FGDs, interviews, Nvivo)
• Advanced knowledge/experience with data science methods (machine learning, web scraping, and text mining)
• Advanced knowledge/experience with social science methods (regression, social network, and spatial analysis)
• Knowledge/experience with survey design, sampling, and analysis
• Experience working with large development finance datasets
• Excellent public speaking and client presentation skills, including the ability to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences
• Interacts with an extensive network of researchers
• Experience with direct supervision of staff
Worked in a bilateral or multilateral aid agency, non-governmental organization, think tank, or academic institution
For more details and to apply, please visit: https://jobs.wm.edu/postings/40523. Applicants MUST apply through William & Mary to be considered. Applications submitted through this site will NOT be reviewed. This position closes at 11:59pm on March 1, 2021.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The College of William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.