Licensed Vocational Nurse II
The Department of Surgery at Baylor College of Medicine is seeking a competent and reliable Licensed Vocational Nurse to support the outpatient-based procedure center in providing extraordinary pre and post-procedure patient care. Under supervision of the Clinic Nurse Manager (and practice providers), this individual will perform selected nursing and administrative duties using the team-based care principles, chronic care management models and quality improvement.
It is the responsibility of this position to contribute to a patient centric and customer focused environment where the needs of the patients come first. Main responsibilities include interviewing patients, measuring vital signs (i.e. pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, weight and height) IV insertion, obtaining correct consent forms, and preparing patient for procedure. Awareness of symptoms and possible complications of procedures and sedation and initial treatment and consequent nursing interventions. Candidate must possess a proactive, team-oriented attitude.
- Obtains accurate vital sign readings pre and post procedure. Communicates abnormal results to registered nurse or physician.
- Documents patient care within the Epic electronic medical records
- Performs responsibilities in manner that promotes quality and safe patient care and customer service.
- Adheres to the scope of practice as defined by the Texas Nurse Practice Act.
- Assumes responsibility and accountability for designated patients.
- Assists physician and registered nurses with various medical procedures.
- Elicits important information concerning the patient's progress in recovery.
- Administers medications and treatments per Baylor policy.
- Reports symptoms, reactions and progress of patient to the supervisor.
- Provides IV therapy according to nursing policy and procedure that is within the LVN scope of practice.
- Maintains an inventory of supplies that are required for patient care.
- Serves as a back-up and support for other team members.
- Schedules appointments, tests and procedures for patients in Epic.
- Collects pertinent clinical data to support the RN and or MD with patient telephone calls.
- High School diploma or G.E.D and graduated from an approved licensed practical nurse/vocational nurse (LPN/LVN).
- Two years of relevant experience as a Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) or as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN).
- Current license as a Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) or as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) by the State of Texas Board of Nurse Examiners. Basic Life Support certification (BLS).
- Familiar with pre and post op care setting.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.