Position Type Civil Service Classification Title Accountant II Position's Functional Title Accountant Position Start Date Position End Date (if temporary) Position Summary
Governors State University is seeking to hire an Accountant II to work under the general supervision of the Assistant Controller. This position will apply professional level of accounting expertise in the management and/or administration of accounting within the Financial Services department. Employees at this level performs accounting work that applies knowledge of the theory and practice of recording, classifying, examining and analyzing data and records of financial transactions. The primary role will include general accounting functions and performing grant related tasks, among others.
35% Cash and Bank Reconciliations: Responsible for the day-to-day operations, analysis and reconciliation of cash and investment accounts. Reconciles reports and bank statements, and address related issues, errors and inconsistencies in a timely manner. Develops, modifies and implement related policies and procedures.
40% Provide assistance to the University’s Assistant Controller and Senior Accountant in performing the following (but not limited to) general accounting functions:
• Financial analysis, reconciliation and reporting for both the University and the University Foundation.
• Examines accounting records, financial statements, or other financial reports to assess accuracy, completeness, and conformance to reporting and procedural standards. Builds general ledger accounts and create new GL codes.
• Provide technical advice and services to University departments or campus leadership and/or operating managers and external parties in regards to interpreting accounting reports, identifying problem areas, developing innovative solutions and implementing strategies.
• Provide directions to ensure operating and financial reporting deadlines are met for University management, state and federal agencies.
• Assist with the fixed assets and property control functions.
• Assist with the accounts payable processing as needed.
• Covering tasks for other areas within the Financial Services & Comptroller Department as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
25% Responsible for grant-related tasks, which may include the following:
• Review and monitor individual grants and related transactions for compliance with private, local, state and federal requirements.
• Ensure compliance with the Grant Uniform Guidance.
• Process cash draws as needed from granting agencies’ systems, prepare invoices to granting agencies for reimbursement of expenditures as necessary, and monitor related collections.;
• Analyze grant financial information and record related journal entries.
• Prepare all applicable grant financial reports as required internally and by granting authorities, and ensure timely submission of reports.
• Provide technical support for interpretation of regulations and reporting requirement.
• Review budgets including the appropriateness of salary amounts, fringe benefits, and indirect cost rates, and ensure that actual expenditures are properly charged and in accordance with approved budget.
• Facilitate the set-up of new accounts with the Principal Investigator (PI) and Office of Sponsored Program and Research ( OSPR ).
• Coordinate with OSPR personnel and PI for the administration of the grant.
• Compiling year-end reports, work papers and analysis for auditors.
Salary Range: $44,580.66 – $60,000.
(This is a non-unionized position. Salary starts at the base and is determined based on Education and Experience exceeding the minimum qualifications).
1. Any one or any combination of the following, totaling three (3) years (36 months), from the categories below:
A. Work experience and/or on the job training in Accounting or a closely related field.
B. College course work and/or training in Accounting or a closely related field including 12 semester hours in accounting:
• Associate Degree (60 semester hours) equals 18 months
• 90-semester hours equals two (2) years (24 months)
• Bachelor’s Degree or higher (120 semester hours) equals three (3) years (36 months).
2. A total of two (2) years (24 months) of experience in professional level accounting work consistent with the next lower level of this series.
An advanced degree in accountancy or registration as a Certified Public Accountant may be substituted for one year of professional experience.
• CPA preferred but not required.
• Bachelor’s degree with a major in Accountancy or business related field.
• A minimum of two years of professional level accounting experience.
• Experience in grant accounting.
• Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook experience.
• 2+ years of grant accounting experience.
• 3+ years of Accounting experience in Higher Education.
• Familiarity with Colleague software.
Posting Date 02/08/2021 Closing Date 03/08/2021 Open Until Filled No Posting Number CS0493P Type of Search External Quicklink for Posting https://employment.govst.edu/postings/5788 Employee ID Department Special Instructions to Applicants
DOCUMENTATION REQUIREMENT :
For consideration, applicants are required to attach the following:
1: Documentation confirming High School completion or equivalent (use “Transcripts” and/or “Other” to attach document).
2: Online Application – Must be fully completed, include all dates of employment, employment status (full-time or if part-time, include percentages), job duties and responsibilities (full details).
3: Cover Letter.
5: A list of three Professional References.
EXAMINATION DETAILS :
This vacancy involves a computerized exam. Please see the State Universities Civil Service System ( SUCSS ) website for additional details at www.sucss.illinois.gov .
RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT :
Illinois residency is required.
VETERAN’S PREFERENCE POINTS :
Veterans may be eligible to receive additional points on a passing final examination score. To determine eligibility, submit one of the following documents to the Department of Human Resources:
1: Department of Defense – DD214/DD215
2: National Guard – NGB22 Form
3: Discharge Orders
4: Reserves – DD256 Discharge Certificate
**Note: Must be received by the closing date of this posting.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Bachelor's degree in Accounting or
- * Please describe your experience working with federal and
state grants and/or private foundations.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you a Certified Public Accountant?
- * Rate your experience with Microsoft Excel:
- * Do you have experience creating reports and working with
- * Do you have extensive experience in financial and compliance
(State and Federal) reporting?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- High School Diploma or GED
- Certification/Professional License
- Veteran’s Preference Points Documentation
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Park Forest
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Park Forest
- Accounting & Finance Not specified Full Time jobs in Park Forest
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Park Forest
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Park Forest