Associate Dean, College of Visual and Performing Arts - 4944 (INTERNAL TO CAMPUS SEARCH ONLY)
The Associate Dean of the College of Visual and Performing Arts reports to the dean, and provides leadership as the curricular dean and advising dean of the college; supervises student services of the college; responsible for student retention decisions; represents the dean in the dean’s absence; participates in the College Council, College Senates and other committees and task forces as the representative of the college; represents the college in student recruitment open houses and welcoming events and alumni events; supervises assigned staff, and handles other duties related to the position as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
1. Provide leadership as the Curricular Dean, chair the College Curriculum Committee, manage curricular changes in the college, represent the college in university-level and community college-related curricular matters, handle contract majors, supervise course activity documentation, etc.;
2. Supervise student services of the college related to issues such as semester schedule changes, general education, range of student problems, financial aid concerns, registration matters, etc.;
3. Provide leadership as the Advising Dean, interact with the heads of advising in other colleges and the Academic Advising Center, review policies and actions proposed by School Advisors, present Orientation sessions to parents of new VPA students, promote Themed Learning Communities in the college, etc.;
4. Evaluate and make student retention decisions such as academic probation, freshman warning, dismissal, judicial referrals, etc., in collaboration with college advising staff;
5. Serve as an ex-officio member of the College Council and chair the College Council in the dean’s absence, participate in College Senate meetings, and serve as the college liaison to university committees and campus units;
6. Represent the college in student recruitment open houses, student welcome days’ events, commencement, USOAR selection process, Homecoming, and various NIU events;
7. Supervise assigned staff and their responsibilities, serve as the acting dean in the dean’s absence and participate in the Council of Deans, and handle other duties related to the position as assigned.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
• Terminal degree in a field associated with the disciplines in the College;
• Minimum rank of Associate Professor, with tenure;
• Experience in an administrative role;
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
• Ability to read and analyze data, familiarity with university, college and school bylaws, faculty governance structure, admissions and enrollment processes;
• Excellent writing and oral communication skills; ability to collaborate, mediate, and negotiate;
• Ability to advise students in curricular and co-curricular matters; knowledge of financial aid and scholarship processes;
• Ability to work people at all levels of the university and those external to the university.
• Enrollment management and faculty workload management
• Knowledge of FERPA .
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
Commensurate with experience and internal equity; position includes eligible benefits.
Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply, candidates must be current NIU employee. Please submit a brief cover letter addressing your ability to fulfill the duties and responsibilities listed above; a CV; and the names and contact information of three references by March 15, 2021. Application link: https://employment.niu.edu/postings/55277
Link to Department Homepage
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
Is Background Check Required
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form . For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Education ( AAEOE ) at email@example.com .
Clery Act Information
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Military Discharge Documents ONLY (DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256)
- Transcripts (unofficial with official required at hire)
- Transcripts #2 (unofficial with official required at hire)
- Transcripts #3 (unofficial with official required at hire)
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Other Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb