Science Hub Program Manager
University Code 35221 University Title Student Services Specialist 1 University Job Family Student Services ORP Eligible No For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Single Title Scope of Search Regional Working Title Science Hub Program Manager Position Number 588760 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? No Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department Academic Support Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
The Division of Strategic Enrollment Management and Student Success ( SEMSS ) is at the core of VCU’s new strategic plan – Quest 2025: Together We Transform. To ensure each VCU student finds success on their individualized path, it is imperative that we establish a campus environment that eliminates artificial barriers to degree progression/graduation, nurtures student engagement both with faculty and our community, develops cultural competency in our graduates, and creates opportunities to experiment and develop tangible and intangible skills related to their future career goals.
SEMSS is building a new academic support space known as the “Science Hub” for science students within the Campus Learning Center ( CLC ) supported by the Howard Hughes Medical Institute for Inclusive Excellence grant, a five year project. Reporting to the Director of the Campus Learning Center, the Science Hub Program Manager will provide support to undergraduate students in science disciplines to build a support community at the University. The Program Manager will work with science departments’ faculty to facilitate programming across disciplines; specifically work with students to improve study skills, learning strategies and study group behavior; and will manage the day-to-day operations of the Science Hub including overseeing student staff, programming, and space. We welcome candidates with diverse experiences and backgrounds who will contribute to an already diverse community of faculty, staff, and students.
The primary responsibilities and duties of the Program Manager include:
1. Meeting individually with students and assessing needs.
a. Make referrals to campus resources as needed.
b. Develop programming within the Science Hub based on needs assessment.
2. Assisting with the development and implementation of CLC (Campus Learning Center) and Science Hub programming.
a. Create and present customized workshops for students
b. Create and present customized workshops for faculty and staff.
c. Continue fostering faculty communities including, but not limited to, joint student hour programming and regular
faculty information sessions.
3. Assisting with CLC student staff training where appropriate.
4. Developing materials related to studying and learning support to share with students and departments.
5. Maintaining student visit records.
6. Actively following up with students to promote retention.
7. Developing and managing a study group program for students in the sciences.
8. Managing the space and student staff of the Science Hub.
9. Serving as a liaison with faculty to support Science Hub programming.
10. Provide support for the assessment of all Science Hub activities.
11. Performing other duties as required to promote the Campus Learning Center.
12. Assisting in other areas of SEMSS as needed.
*Work assignments and/or event participation may require weekend and/or evening hours.
Minimum Hiring Standards
-Master’s degree in a science discipline, Higher Education, Student Affairs, Counseling, or related field.
-Excellent written, interpersonal, and oral communication skills.
-Previous experience with program management.
-Previous experience working with students on time management, goals and/or study strategies.
-Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student environment, or commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU .
Preferred Hiring Standards
-Experience working in a college or university learning center or other related support activity.
-Previous experience working in science disciplines.
-Experience working with faculty, specifically science and math faculty.
-Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
-Demonstrated ability to motivate students toward academic achievement.
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range Up to $45,000 Application Process/Additional Information
Preference will be given to applications received by March 7, 2021.
Campus Monroe Park Campus Hours/Week 40 Normal Work Days/Hours M-F Job Open Date 02/08/2021 Posting will close on or before Open Until Filled Yes Job Category Accounting/ Management/ Professional Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? Yes Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/103293 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond