Assistant Band Director, and Assistant Professor of Music
The Department of Performing Arts at Marian
University-Indianapolis seeks qualified, dynamic, and outgoing
applicants for the position of a non-tenure track Assistant Band
Director and Instructor/Assistant Professor of Music in the Music
Program. This position will promote Marian University’s Catholic
mission and identity by assisting in all facets of the band
program, including the marching band
and leading the men’s and women’s basketball
band; assisting with the wind ensemble in the spring semester;
teach in areas of need which may include marching band techniques,
music education courses, supervision of student teachers; and
assist the Director of Bands in all aspects of a comprehensive
collegiate band program. Other duties may be assigned to meet
program and departmental needs according to candidate’s areas of
strength. Candidates who are able to teach applied lessons are
encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate will build a rapport with local high school directors, recruit students to the program, and administer community outreach. The ideal candidate will hold a PhD, DMA, or DA (MM at a minimum) in music or music education and have public school band directing experience.
Marian University is a Catholic, comprehensive, regional institution of higher education dedicated to excellent teaching and learning in the Franciscan and liberal arts traditions and offers a multitude of undergraduate, graduate and professional programs. Marian University has been experiencing significant growth over the last decade and is expanding its academic offerings.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively engage the Catholic Franciscan mission and identity of Marian University by modeling the Franciscan Sponsorship Values, honoring the legacy of the founding congregation, promoting unity in diversity, and integrating the Catholic Franciscan intellectual traditions in courses, programs, and services.
- Contribute to a wide array of teaching outlets, including the general education curriculum, undergraduate major curriculum, and other programs.
- Share in the ongoing development and implementation of department and college activities and projects.
- Engage in research, scholarship, and other professional activities.
- Mentor students through advising, research, and internship opportunities.
- Participate in the life of the campus and university service, including participation in faculty governance and co-curricular programs.
- Teaching load dependent on needs of the department and expertise of the candidate.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the mission of Marian University.
- A completed Ph.D., DA, or DMA in music or music education preferred. Must have MM in music or music education degree by date of hire.
- Prior teaching experience at the high school and/or college level required
- Evidence of capacity for effective teaching in higher education.
- Potential for ongoing research, publication, and activity in professional associations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated, collaborative, and able to work independently with colleagues throughout the university and in the community.
- The ability to create new ideas and build a program. The successful candidate will not be afraid to try new things and work closely with local high school programs.
Founded in 1937 by the Sisters of St. Francis, Oldenburg,
Indiana, Marian University is the only Catholic university in
Indianapolis and central Indiana. In 2019, Marian is serving more
than 2,400 undergraduate and 1,160 graduate students earning
degrees in the arts, business, education, engineering, math,
medicine, nursing, ministry, and the natural and physical sciences.
The university’s high-impact, experiential curriculum is designed
to provide hands-on, collaborative learning opportunities for
students from 45 states and 23 nations. Marian climbed in U.S. News
& World Report’s 2021 Midwest rankings, being named the #3 Most
Innovative Regional University, #5 Best Value University, and #28
Best Regional University. Marian University opened its College of
Osteopathic Medicine in 2013, making it the first new school of
medicine in the state of Indiana in 110 years. Marian’s national
champion varsity athletic programs include the 2012 and 2015 NAIA
Football National Championship, the 2016 and 2017 NAIA Women’s
Basketball Championship, 2019 NAIA Volleyball National
Championship, and more than 40 USA Cycling national
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applications require a letter of application, a current CV, three letters of recommendation, evidence of teaching effectiveness, and a sample of scholarly work. All applications should be submitted through https://marian.peopleadmin.com/.
Marian University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Indianapolis
- Arts Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Indianapolis
- Music Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Indianapolis
- Other Arts Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Indianapolis