Director of Global Initiatives
The Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University is conducting an international search for a Director of Global Initiatives to lead the School’s growing international education and outreach initiatives.
The Director will be responsible for managing the office of Cronkite Global Initiatives as well as leading the School’s curricular and co-curricular international efforts. Specifically, the Director will:
- Oversee existing international grant programs and develop new sponsored research opportunities for Cronkite faculty and staff to collaborate with, teach and train journalists and communications professionals around the world.
- Work closely with the curator for the Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship program to provide a rich educational and cultural experience for mid-career journalists and communications professionals.
- Develop and teach a course in international journalism or communication as well as infuse international teaching into other courses.
- Oversee and develop international reporting projects in which students and faculty travel to the U.S.-Mexico border and abroad to produce public-facing projects that illuminate and advance understanding of people and issues around the world.
- Liaison with ASU faculty and administrators to identify and develop interdisciplinary opportunities across the university to strengthen international awareness and understanding through research, training and teaching.
- Manage the hosting of international visitors to the school, including post-doctoral fellows and visiting professionals.
- Oversee Cronkite student study abroad programs and work in concert with the ASU Study Abroad Office to expand for-credit opportunities for students to engage in study abroad programs.
- Develop other opportunities for students, including internships abroad, working with the Cronkite Career Services Office.
- Supervise staff and manage day-to-day operations of Cronkite Global Initiatives.
- The Director of Global Initiatives is a tenure/tenure track faculty position. Expedited tenure review will be considered for those candidates who hold tenure at another institution.
- Doctoral degree in mass communications, journalism, intercultural communication, political communication, international relations, global studies, higher education administration or related field
- Three to five years of professional experience as a journalist, educator or communications professional
- Experience conducting training for students, educators or professionals in an international setting
- A portfolio of research publications and/or creative work that show a clear projection to achieve tenure at a Carnegie Research 1 university.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including cross-cultural communication competencies
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusiveness
- At least two years supervisory experience
- Demonstrated experience in grant writing, implementation and reporting
- Demonstrated experience forging collaborations and partnerships
- Proficiency in a language in addition to English
About the Cronkite School:
The Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication is widely recognized as one of the nation’s premier journalism programs. Rooted in the time-honored values that characterize its namesake — accuracy, responsibility, objectivity, integrity — the school fosters journalistic excellence and ethics among students as they master the professional skills they need to succeed in the digital media world of today and tomorrow.
The student body of more than 2,000 undergraduate, 400 master’s and 25 doctoral students is guided by a faculty that is made up of both award-winning professional journalists, strategic communications professionals and world-class media scholars.
Located on Arizona State University’s Downtown Phoenix campus, with bureaus in Washington, D.C., and Los Angeles, the Cronkite School leads the way in journalism and strategic communications education with its innovative use of the teaching hospital model, for which it has received international acclaim. The school’s full-immersion professional programs give students opportunities to practice what they’ve learned in intensive real-world settings under the guidance of top-flight professionals and in collaboration with research faculty.
About Cronkite Global Initiatives
For nearly two decades, Cronkite Global Initiatives has fostered meaningful connections among Cronkite students, staff and faculty and international media professionals, scholars and citizens and worked to advance the practice and teaching of journalism and media communications around the world.
The Cronkite School is home to the only Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship program in journalism in the United States. The State Department program, in partnership with the Institute of International Education, brings mid-career journalists and professional communicators from developing countries to the Cronkite School each year for 10 months.
Cronkite Global Initiatives conducts journalism and media training programs globally through public and private partnerships with the U.S. State Department, American Embassies worldwide, USAID and global development and education organizations. In the past 10 years, Cronkite faculty have conducted over 50 workshops in more than 35 countries. For more information visit https://cronkite.asu.edu/outreach/cronkite-global-initiatives.
About Arizona State University
Arizona State University has developed a new model for the American research university, creating an institution committed to excellence, access and impact — the New American University. ASU’s charter, adopted in 2014, is the blueprint of that transformation:
ASU is a comprehensive public research university, measured not by whom it excludes, but by whom it includes and how they succeed; advancing research and discovery of public value; and assuming fundamental responsibility for the economic, social, cultural and overall health of the communities it serves.
ASU is redefining the 21st century research university as a knowledge enterprise. Building on a long legacy of excellence, ASU has nearly tripled its research funding over the past decade and is now recognized as one of the fastest-growing large research enterprises in the United States. ASU’s interdisciplinary, solutions-focused approach to research, entrepreneurship and economic development has earned it the distinction of being named the #1 most innovative school in the nation by U.S. News & World Report for six consecutive years.
ASU has a large and growing international footprint. For more information about ASU’s global programming: https://global.asu.edu/.
Application deadline: 03/10/2021; if not filled, every two weeks thereafter until search is closed.
Application materials must include: 1) a current curriculum vita (or resume); 2.) a letter outlining employment history, educational philosophy, scholarly research or creative interests, and a description of how the applicant’s experiences will benefit the Cronkite School; 3) a diversity statement that addresses experience and commitment to social justice, diversity, equity and inclusion over the course of their careers and outlines how they would advance DEI goals at Arizona PBS and the Cronkite School, this statement should be no longer than 500 words; 4.) names, positions and telephone numbers of three academic or professional references.
Diversity is a key component of excellence at ASU, and the Cronkite School supports the value of diversity among faculty, staff, and students.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Phoenix
- Communications Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Phoenix
- Other Communications Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Phoenix
- Professional Fields Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Phoenix
- Journalism Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Phoenix