Assistant Professor of Biology
Assistant Professor of Biology
Contract Terms: Full-time 9-month, Tenure-track
Start Date: August 2, 2021
Application Deadline: March 8, 2021
Arkansas Tech University
Founded in 1909, Arkansas Tech is a comprehensive public higher education institution, maintaining regional accreditation from the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) and classification as a Southern Regional Education Board (SREB) level III institution. The Russellville campus, located in the scenic Arkansas River Valley between the Ozark and Ouachita Mountains, is just one hour from the capital city of Little Rock and boasts a charming blend of historic and modern architecture, including beautiful grounds and greenery. Offering over 100 undergraduate and more than 25 graduate degree programs across seven academic colleges and two campuses, Arkansas Tech strives to provide a solid educational foundation for life-long learning to a diverse community. For more information about Arkansas Tech University and the surrounding community, please visit our website at www.atu.edu/hr to find our “Live Here” informational resources.
The Department of Biological Sciences invites applications for the position of a 9-month tenure track Assistant Professor of Biology. We are seeking a broadly trained biological scientist to complement our existing faculty, teach both undergraduate general biology courses and upper division courses focused on aspects of microbiology, mentor undergraduate Biology-Biomedical majors, and develop an undergraduate based research program. Teaching responsibilities are 12 credit hours per semester with additional expectations for scholarship and service. Our department consists of 23 faculty that administer eight B.S degrees (Biology, Biology-Biomedical, Medical Laboratory Science, Nuclear Medicine Technology, Environmental Science, Fisheries &Wildlife Science, Life Science Education, and Health Information Management) and two M.S. degrees (Fisheries & Wildlife Science and Health Informatics). Applicants must hold an earned Ph.D. in Biology, Microbiology or a closely related field (or ABD with completion by August 9, 2021). Position start date is August 2, 2021. Arkansas Tech offers a benefit package including medical, dental, life insurance and participation in TIAA-CREF retirement plans.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop, teach, and assess undergraduate (and graduate when appropriate) courses.
- Engage students in high-impact learning practices.
- Effectively advise/mentor students at the undergraduate (and graduate when appropriate) level.
- Develop a sustainable scholarship program including seeking external funds to support the program.
- Provide impactful departmental, college, university, and professional service to the university, community and state.
- Earned Ph.D. in biology, microbiology or related field from a regionally accredited institution by the start date (or ABD with completion by August 9, 2021).
- Possesses effective oral and written communication skills.
- Evidence of quality teaching and scholarship in the field of Biology.
- Evidence of developing, supporting and/or implementing effective teaching and instructional technologies.
- Evidence of, or ability to, establish an extramurally funded undergraduate research program.
- Evidence of, or potential for, creating an inclusive environment for diverse populations.
What to Submit
Applicants should submit a letter of application that addresses the qualifications listed above that includes teaching philosophy, description of research interests and goals that involve undergraduate students, curriculum vita, copies of transcripts (unofficial copies are sufficient), and contact information for three professional references. Candidates will be chosen based on a combination of the above listed minimum requirements and preferred qualifications, therefore all items should be addressed in application package.
To be considered for the Assistant Professor of Biology position, all applications must be received and processed through our applicant tracking system Cornerstone prior to the closing date on March 8, 2021 before 6:00 pm central time.
Please go to https://atu.csod.com/ats/careersite/search.aspx?site=1&c=atu to apply now.
This position is subject to a pre-employment criminal background check. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Arkansas Tech University is an AA/EOE employer committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.