Instructor in Data Science – Computer Science
The office of the Dean of the Graduate School at the University of Colorado Boulder seeks applicants for the position of Instructor in Data Science - Computer Science, to begin fall 2021. This Instructor will teach in the new MS in Data Science Program with an emphasis in data structures and algorithms and data mining. The Instructor will report to the Faculty Director of the Program in Data Science, and will be affiliated with the Department of Computer Science where instructors are an integral part of the department’s full-time teaching faculty team, and play a fundamental role in the department’s educational mission.
The initial appointment is for a term of three years, with contract renewal contingent upon satisfactory performance. The successful applicant will be fluent in python and prepared to teach data science courses including data structures and data structures and algorithms, data mining, and either machine learning or big data architecture. The ideal candidate will assist in the development of data science degree programs. Additional responsibilities may include coordinating multi-section courses, supervising teaching assistants, serving on committees, supporting growth in the university’s data science degree offerings, and advising data science students.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Graduate School serves as the intellectual crossroads of the university. More than 5,000 graduate students from around the world come to CU Boulder to pursue graduate certificates, master's and doctoral degrees in over 150 programs. We offer degrees across a full range of disciplines that, alongside our robust interdisciplinary programs and centers, provide an outstanding environment in which to pursue graduate work.
Through a collaboration between the Graduate School and Departments of Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, and Information Science, the University of Colorado Boulder is launching two new degree programs in data science: an asynchronous, online professional Master of Science degree in Data Science hosted on the Coursera platform and an on-campus, in-person professional Master of Science degree in Data Science, with a corresponding online, Canvas-based degree to follow shortly thereafter. The programs are administratively housed in the Graduate School. Building three versions of the data science degree allows us to reach three distinct audiences: those who prefer a residential program, those who look for a term- based, higher-touch online program, and those who desire an asynchronous, low touch program.
The degree programs are interdisciplinary drawing on CU Boulder faculty expertise in statistics, applied mathematics, data science, computer science, information science, geospatial analytics, natural language processing, business analytics, and more. The curriculum offers technical depth and functional breadth that also emphasizes cross-functional communication and teamwork, skills vital to data scientists who increasingly work with partners across a wide spectrum of domains.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- The teaching requirement for this appointment is five-semester courses per academic year.
- As part of the 20% service commitment, the individual may be asked to coordinate multi-section courses; develop curricula and pedagogical techniques; assist in the administration of the data science degrees; and/or advise data science students.
What You Should Know
- We seek candidates who are strongly interested in or demonstrate effectiveness in teaching, mentoring, and inspiring diverse students of all races, nationalities and genders, including first-generation students. The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building a diverse workforce.
- Background checks will be conducted for all final applicants.
What We Can Offer
We can offer an academic year salary range of $65,000 - $82,500.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Impactful. Be Resourceful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Ph.D. in computer science, data science, or a closely related field.
- Experience in teaching at the university level.
What You Will Need
- A demonstrated ability to teach data science or related courses.
- Ability to demonstrate tact and diplomacy when working with a broad spectrum of students, faculty, and administrative staff.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Preference will be given to recent Ph.D. graduates with experience in computer science and data science.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter (You must attach a cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines your qualifications and a current CV.)
- List of References (Used for Phone Reference Checks from three colleagues, at least one of which should be familiar with your teaching style. Please provide a phone number and email for each recommendation provider.).
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
Review of applications will begin as they are received, and will continue until the position is filled. Applications received by March 1, 2021 will receive full consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Jane Wall
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Computer Sciences & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder