Assistant Vice President, University Controller
Assistant Vice President, University Controller
You belong at a University that is Rising
The University of Florida is rising in stature and is now ranked the No. 6 best public universities according to UF News and World Report. Aiming to be the most knowledgeable and transformative Finance & Accounting Division in the nation, the University Controller oversees accounting and financial operations, compliance, and stewardship for a University on the rise!
The University Controller is responsible for planning, organizing, staffing, directing, and controlling all activities of the Finance and Accounting (F&A) Division . Additionally, these responsibilities are coupled with providing guidance and oversight of the University’s business operations and internal controls in alignment with the “One UF” strategic mission.
The role and responsibilities of the University Controller are as follows:
- Oversee a variety of functions such as the Payroll & Tax Services, General Accounting & Financial Reporting, Auxiliary Accounting, Disbursements, Asset Management, Construction Accounting & Cost Analysis, Bursar, Treasury Management and Internal Controls, while reporting to the Senior Vice President (SVP)/CFO.
- Lead and manage the extensive planning, innovation, formulation and implementation of accounting techniques and administration while overseeing approximately 135 FTE employees
- Monitor an annual operating budget of approximately $11,000,000 along with the receipts and expenditures and property accounting control of approximately $3.2 billion in total assets.
- Champion the strategic development, implementation and maintenance of the internal controls and financial reporting policies, standards and procedures that assure the fiscal, payroll and procurement practices comply with university policies, external rules, regulations and restrictions, and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Maintain the overall integrity of the financial records and internal control environment of the university. Establish and carry out the mission and goals of the Senior Vice President (SVP)/CFO by formulating goals and objectives in accordance with the overall mission of the University.
- Responsible for interpreting and communicating fiscal policies of the federal government, State of Florida, Department of Education, Board of Governors, University Board of Trustees and the University to the various Vice Presidents, Deans, Directors, and Department Heads and other university employees.
- Formulate and implement the Finance and Accounting program for the University through evaluation and enhancement of the division by developing a service-oriented program to support the research, public service, and instructional responsibility of the University of Florida.
- Design, establish and maintain an organizational and staffing structure that aligns with the goals of the office. This includes overseeing the hiring, development, management, and evaluation of divisional staff.
- Provide thorough review, analysis, and support to the Senior Vice President (SVP)/CFO related to business practices, accounting, reporting and internal controls across the UF enterprise. The Controller collaborates with this leadership in developing goals, visions, and strategies to enhance the University community.
- Serve as the primary contact and liaison for audits conducted at the University which include financial, federal, operational, information technology, and compliance.
- Present feedback and information to the Board of Trustees.
- Seek direct involvement with the F&A Rate proposal review and negotiation with Federal DHHS in for the Vice President for Research for the University.
- Participate as an active member and provide leadership for Gator Business Administrator Services (GBAS) and the development of fiscal training for the University.
- Participate as an active member in the Property Committee; and Auxiliary Committee Working Group
The Division of Finance and Accounting (F&A)
The Finance and Accounting Division at the University of Florida is comprised of over 135 dedicated professionals in 12 departments including Asset Management, Disbursements, Bursar, Payroll and Tax Services. With a vision to be the most knowledgeable and transformative Finance and Accounting Division in the nation, F&A is guided by five core values: Right Results, Right Way, Powered by Professionalism, Culture of Learning, Go the Extra Mile and Challenge the Status Quo.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The Office of the Senior Vice President (SVP)/CFO is committed to attracting, hiring, and retaining a diverse workforce and values diversity of thoughts, background, and experience. We welcome nominations of and applications from individuals who would bring additional dimensions to the university’s vision and mission.
The University of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The University is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in also aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotion, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits and training.
The University of Florida
The University of Florida ranks 7th among public research universities and is the flagship of Florida’s state university system. Located in Gainesville since 1906, UF has 16 colleges, a major academic health center, a championship-winning athletic program, a top-ranked undergraduate online program and, in keeping with its land-grant mission, one of the nation’s most comprehensive agriculture and natural resources programs. All are based at the university’s 2,000-acre main campus, joining its historic core with advanced facilities and preserved natural areas, and connecting to adjacent innovation, commercial and residential districts.
UF has 56,000 students, 31,000 employees, including 5,500 faculty members, a $6 billion annual budget and more than 140 mission-focused units across the state of Florida. It is the Sunshine State’s only member of the Association of American Universities comprising the nation’s 60 leading public and private research universities. It is ranked seventh among public universities in the U.S. News &World Report Best College Rankings, second in Kiplinger’s Best College Values and sixth in The New York Times College Access Index. UF has 45 members of the National Academies and American Academy of Arts and Sciences; 51 fellows with the American Association for the Advancement of Science; and two Pulitzer Prize winners. A record 41,400 students applied for 6,500 positions in the 2019-20 freshman class.
Several qualities distinguish UF among today’s leading public research universities. The first is its highly comprehensive breadth on a single campus, facilitating interdisciplinary collaboration among, for example, faculty within the adjacent colleges of journalism, engineering and medicine. The second is its unwavering support from the State of Florida, which has endorsed UF’s drive to become one of the nation’s very best public research universities, supporting this effort since 2013 with hundreds of millions of dollars in additional funding to grow its faculty ranks. UF’s third exceptional quality is its dynamism. Like the state of Florida, now the nation’s third largest and among its fastest-growing, UF is undergoing rapid transformation as it pursues its overarching aspiration “to be a premier university that the state, nation and world look to for leadership.”
The City of Gainesville
Gainesville ( http://cityofgainesville.org ) is home to Florida's largest and oldest university, and so is one of the state's centers of education, medicine, cultural events and athletics. The University of Florida and UF Health Shands Hospital are the leading employers in Gainesville and provide jobs for many residents of surrounding counties. Gainesville is also the largest city in Alachua County and is the county seat, with approximately 269,000 residents county-wide. It serves as the cultural, educational and commercial center for the north central Florida region. The city provides a full range of municipal services, including cultural and nature services and necessary administrative services to support these activities. Additionally, the city owns a regional transit system, a regional airport, and a 72-par championship golf course. Known for its preservation of historic buildings and the beauty of its natural surroundings, Gainesville's numerous parks, museums and lakes provide entertainment to thousands of visitors. Because of its beautiful landscape and urban "forest," Gainesville is one of the most attractive cities in Florida. The city is in a central location to both the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean, providing easy access within a day’s drive to beaches, nature preserves, and water-based activities. Explore Gainesville in 60 Seconds.
Commensurate with Qualifications and Experience
- Master's degree in an appropriate area of specialization and six years of appropriate experience; or a bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization and eight years of appropriate experience.
- CPA strongly preferred
- Apply directly online at https://explore.jobs.ufl.edu/en-us/job/515570/ast-vp-university-controller. The application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) on February 19th, 2021.
- Questions related to the application process may be directed to Mercedes Swan, Manager for the Strategic Talent Group at email@example.com .
- If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352/392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800/955-8771 (TDD). Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the US.
- The “government in the sunshine” laws of Florida require that all documents relating to the search process, including letters of application/nomination and reference, be available for public inspection upon request.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge
- Accounting & Finance Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge