Department Chair, Health Sciences, Associate/Full Professor
Florida Gulf Coast University is a comprehensive university dedicated to quality education, research, and service. All faculty are expected to: be excellent teachers, responsive to changing professional needs; be committed to innovative delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning; be committed to effective use of technology including distance learning; produce peer reviewed scholarship; and provide service to the College, University and Community. Teaching assignments may be on the main campus, on-line, or at off-campus sites within our region.
The Department of Health Sciences (HS) houses the following degree programs and certificate programs:
• BS in Clinical Laboratory Sciences
• BS in Health Administration
• BS in Health Sciences
• BS in Public Health
• MS in Health Sciences
• MPAS in Physician Assistant Studies
• Clinical Laboratory Certificate Program
• Health Services Administration Certificate Program
• Molecular Diagnostics Certificate Program
The Department of HS is the largest department within MCHHS and, in AY 20/21, has accounted for approximately 42% of the SCH production for the College. The Department Chair will supervise 15 faculty and 2 staff members and more than 17 adjuncts per semester. One of the Department’s programs consists of a specialized accreditation from the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS) for the Clinical Laboratory Certificate program and is currently awaiting a site visit in Spring 2021 for the newly-formed Molecular Diagnostics certificate program. At the same time, the Masters in Physician Assistant Studies is currently under provisional accreditation through the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant, Inc. (ARC-PA). The PA program will be submitting the final self-study in July 2021, with an on-campus final visit in October 2021.
The responsibilities of the Chairs/Director may include, but are not limited to;
- Supervises and evaluates Department faculty and staff
- Oversees refinement of existing academic programs and determining trends in education for the creation of new programming.
- Manages all department budgets ensuring fiscal responsibility.
- Teaches courses in the Department and contributes to the College’s and University’s mission of ensuring excellence in teaching with an equal commitment to community service and outreach.
- The successful applicant will foster a productive environment for scholarly activities within the Department, supporting the faculty’s commitment to serving the Department, College and University, as well as advising and mentoring students in practicum/internship experiences and capstone projects.
- Assists with securing external support through grants and/or philanthropic activities which supports the Department.
Additional Job Description
- Earned Doctoral degree in Health Sciences, Health Services Administration, Health
- Services Research, Health Education, or related field (such as: Public Health, Environmental Health, Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Education Leadership, other closely related degree program) from a regionally accredited institution or equivalent accreditation.
- Prior administrative experience (e.g. Department Chair, Program Director). Experience teaching online courses at the University level.
- Experience with teaching, scholarship, and service that is commensurate for the rank of Professor or Associate Professor.
- Three or more years of experience serving as a Department Chair or other similar University role
- Experience with national program accreditation.
- Strong scholarship record as evidenced by refereed publications in the leading journals for the discipline, as well as a record of extramural funding and demonstration of supporting faculty though developing a scholarly agenda.
- Administrative experience overseeing online degree programs is also preferred.
- Understanding of and commitment to issues related to diversity.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience or commitment to the use of technology in distance learning & university teaching. Interest in collaborating both within and outside the University in the development and delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning. Must value continued scholarship and service to the school and university.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Appointment will be made at a faculty rank commensurate with the candidate’s
experience on a 12-month multi-year appointment basis available July 1, 2021.
Because applications and materials are subject to public review and retention under Florida’s Public Records Law, please DO NOT send examples of your project/scholarship unless requested to do so. Therefore, all submitted materials including articles, disks, slides, books, etc., become the property of FGCU and CANNOT BE RETURNED. As applicable, finalists will be notified of the need to submit specific additional materials. Such materials will become the property of FGCU.
Under Florida’s Public Records law, applications will be available for public review upon request and become property of FGCU.
Required Application Materials:
- Unofficial Transcripts- include transcripts of highest degree earned in the field of instruction
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Curriculum Vitae
- Five (5) Professional References
This position is posted "Open Until Filled".
FGCU is an EOE AA /F/Vet/Disability Employer.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers
- Curriculum & Instruction Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers
- Education Administration & Leadership Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers