Bachelors Program Director, Public Health
Bachelors Program Director, Public Health
Main Campus - Boston, MARemote - National
Since our founding more than a century ago in Boston, Simmons University has been empowering women to become leaders — in their lives, careers, and communities. Building on the synergy of the liberal arts and the professions, and a commitment to social justice and equity, our CompleteDegree@Simmons online undergraduate programs support the intellectual exploration and professional growth of women all over the country. The online undergraduate program in Public Health at Simmons University serves degree completing adult learners and transfer students.
The Department of Public Health is housed in the College of Social Sciences, Policy, and Practice. We are inviting applications for a Bachelor's Program Director to join a collaborative and collegial department committed to providing student-centered, innovative instruction in public health to prepare undergraduate students for a diverse range of career paths.
Simmons University strives for inclusive excellence in all aspects of an individual's community experience: one of our strategic goals is to become the most inclusive campus in New England. As a University committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, we seek candidates with a demonstrated ability to work with students across a broad range of social and personal identities and perspectives. We particularly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups.
The Bachelor's Program Director (BPD) is a faculty leadership role with responsibility for administering the on the ground and online bachelor's programs. This position will oversee the existing on the ground bachelor's program and also take the lead in the overall program design, development, and delivery of the online version of the program, with the goal of creating the optimal student experience and desired student outcomes. In collaboration with a core team across several functional areas of the university (Operations, Financial Aid, Registrar, Technology, Finance, and Legal) and in collaboration with Simmons' strategic partner, 2U, the Director must focus on several areas of the program to ensure quality: curriculum, content, faculty, student support, operations, marketing, and profitability.
The BPD works closely with the Department Chair, contributing faculty, and relevant offices to manage the delivery of instruction and student advising and is supported by a Program Specialist who oversees day-to-day operations. The BPD continues to report to their home Department Chair, report program activities annually to the Dean, and represent the online program to the University.
The ideal candidate will understand the needs of adult learners, have experience in online instruction and ideally oversee online education delivery, support Simmons University's commitment to diversity, practice and promote teamwork, be committed to academic excellence, strong communication skills, adhere to high standards of personal conduct, and maintain professional competency.
- Forecast course and staffing needs, in partnership with
Admissions and 2U
- Coordinate online course offerings for each term (three
starts/year), in partnership with academic Department
- Serve as primary program liaison to 2U and relevant University
offices, especially Admissions, Marketing, Registrar, and
- Report program activities annually to Dean
- Coordinate course development and revision schedule for online
- Coordinate individual course development of online
- Participate in ongoing Department curricular planning and
periodic program review of on the ground and online
- Serve as instructor for on the ground and online
Student Advising and Engagement
- Serve as primary faculty contact for matriculated students,
including monitoring academic status, resolving student concerns,
and verifying graduation requirements
- With Department Chair assign students to faculty advisors,
oversee advising processes, and monitor students' course plans and
progress towards their degree objectives
- Identify student needs to advise Program Specialist, relevant
offices, and 2U
- Work with 2U and College operations team to provide
opportunities for student engagement outside the
Faculty Support and Mentoring
- Serve as primary mentor for online course leads and section
- Develop and oversee instructor guide or other faculty resources
for online faculty
- Support the Department Chair in identifying adjunct faculty,
reviewing applications, hiring and assigning section instructors,
and monitoring faculty and adjunct performance
- Identify faculty needs to advise relevant offices and
- Oversee the online program budget and prepare reports as
- Identify budgetary needs to advise Department Chair and
- Assist Director of Operations and academic unit head with
- Assume other duties as assigned by the Dean and Department
- Master's of Public Health required; doctoral degree in Public
Health or allied field preferred
- Minimum of three to five years of work experience in as an
instructor and/or administrator in online education
- Prior experience in higher education academic administration
- Ability to work well with culturally diverse populations within
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills, and proven
experience taking initiative and having ownership of
- Must have advanced working knowledge of MS Office Suite, and a
strong ability to learn new systems, especially web-based
applications and learning tools
- Experience with online learning platforms and common software
strongly preferred, including MS Excel experience with advanced
formulas, pivot tables, and charts
- Excellent communication, analytical thinking, and
- Proven ability to perform duties with a high level of
professionalism, flexibility, discretion, judgment, diplomacy, and
- Ability to manage concurrent project timelines, adapt to
changing priorities, and meet deadlines
- Experience with budgetary responsibilities a plus
Term of Service:
The Bachelor's Program Director position will be a 12-month contract. This position will include both remote work and on the ground work on our Boston campus.
Required Application Materials:
Please upload all of the following to the resume section of the online application: (1) a cover letter including key qualifications for the position, (2) a curriculum vitae, (3) a statement of teaching philosophy including a list of courses you can teach and, if available, results of previous teaching evaluations or other evidence of teaching effectiveness, and (4) the contact information for at least three professional references. Additional materials can be sent to email@example.com.
Instructions to Applicants: Please upload all applicable application materials (e.g. resume/cv, cover letter, writing sample, teaching philosophy, etc.) in the "Resume/CV" box on page 2 ("My Experience") of this application. Documents can be uploaded individually or as a combined document (e.g. PDF).
Simmons University is committed to inclusive excellence in all aspects of an individual's community experience. As a university committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, Simmons encourages applications from all under-represented groups. Simmons is committed to creating, developing, promoting, and enhancing inclusive hiring practices-at all levels, for all positions-ensuring diverse talent pools and the delivery of a consistent positive candidate experience. Simmons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to continuing to develop a more diverse faculty, staff, student body, and curriculum.
To apply, visit https://simmons.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Simmons-Careers/job/Main-Campus---Boston-MA/Bachelor-s-Program-Director--Public-Health_R07358-1
Located in Boston’s historic Fenway area, Simmons College is a small, private, non-sectarian College which has educated students for enriching careers and purposeful lives since 1899. Working at Simmons means joining a collaborative, diverse and mission-driven community of educators and professionals.
We prepare students to be leaders for themselves, their communities and the world. Our faculty and staff members lead by example - sharing a commitment to excellence and putting the students first.