Assistant Professor of English - College of Arts & Humanities, Northwest Nazarene University
Northwest Nazarene University
Description of Position
The Department of Language and Literature at Northwest Nazarene University invites applications for a tenure-track assistant professor position in Early British literature to begin August 2021. The preferred candidate will hold a Ph.D. (A.B.D. considered) in an area of British literature before the Romantic period and also have training in the pedagogy of composition.
Depending on the interests and expertise of the candidate, the position may include:
- Teaching linguistics and/or pre- and early-modern literature in translation from languages other than English
- Visionary thinking for raising awareness of the versatility of an English major
- Developing and supervising a robust professional writing curriculum
- Developing a course to assist English majors with vocational discernment and preparation
- Developing and supervising internships for English majors not going into education
Job duties will include the following:
- Teaching 24 credits per year, four courses per semester, including lower-division literature courses, first-year composition, upper-division writing courses, and upper-division literature courses
- Scholarship as described by the Boyer Model, such as, but not limited to, conference presentations and peer-reviewed publications
- Mentoring and advising undergraduate students
- Serving on assigned university committees
- Other duties as assigned
Candidates should highlight any work in diversity and inclusion, such as experience teaching first-generation and/or traditionally underserved student populations, or teaching that incorporates scholarship related to underrepresented and marginalized groups.
The Department of Language and Literature
The Department of Language and Literature at Northwest Nazarene University offers Bachelor of Arts degrees in English and in Chinese Studies; a Co-Major in Creative Writing; and minors in Chinese Studies, Literature, Professional Writing, and Spanish. The Department also educates English Secondary Education and English Middle-Level Endorsement majors through our nationally-recognized Education Department, whose graduates are highly sought after for teaching positions across the Pacific Northwest.
Northwest Nazarene University (NNU), a comprehensive Christian university, offers over 60 areas of study, 19 master’s degrees in seven different disciplines and one doctoral degree. In addition to its 90-acre campus located in Nampa, Idaho, the University also offers 26 online degree programs as well as courses at a regional campus in Idaho Falls. Founded in 1913, the university now serves over 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students, and more than 11,000 continuing education and concurrent credit students. NNU is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges & Universities and has been rated by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top master’s level universities in the West and a “Best Value” for delivering a high-quality education at a remarkably affordable price. The university’s location in the Boise valley provides a wealth of regional opportunities: easy access to local ski resorts, mountain hiking, and river rafting; and a wide array of cultural opportunities from the Boise Philharmonic Orchestra to the National Old-time Fiddlers Festival. NNU has a long and deep association with the Church of the Nazarene, and all University faculty commit themselves to living out their faith in a community shaped by serious scholarship and vital Christian piety.
Employment at Northwest Nazarene University is contingent upon the results of an independent background check.
Posted 02/07/2021—Review of applications to begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
Northwest Nazarene University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As an educational institution operating under the auspices of the Church of the Nazarene, Northwest Nazarene University is permitted and reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (Title VII, Sections 702-703, United States Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended).
To be considered for this position, a complete application packet must be received, including the following:
- Letter of interest
- Curriculum vita
- Application form which includes:
- Statement describing your philosophy of teaching
- Statement describing your philosophy of Christian higher education
- Responses to the NNU Christian Mission requirements link
- Three references from professional associates (Name, relationship, and contact information)
- A pastor’s reference letter
Send or email completed application packet to:
Northwest Nazarene University
623 S. University Blvd.
Nampa, ID 83686
Phone: (208) 467-8036
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Nampa
- Education Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Nampa
- Teacher Education Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Nampa
- Humanities Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Nampa
- English & Literature Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Nampa