Director of Finance and Administration
Reporting to our General Manager, use your 10+ years of financial and organizational management experience to direct the business and finances of our successful and growing organization. This full-time position is located in the Boston area.
The Conversation is an independent, nonprofit media organization that publishes daily analysis and commentary authored by academics, edited by journalists and aimed at the general public. Our team of professional editors works with scholars from universities across the U.S. to help them share their research with the general public.
The Conversation is deeply committed to inclusion and diversity. We highly encourage qualified persons who are Black, Latinx, Asian American, Native or LGBTQ – and are legally able to work in the U.S. – to apply for this key position.
- Financial Management
- Oversees all TCUS financial functions including: Presents quarterly financial reports to management and the BOD Finance Committee; Administers the annual audit process; liaises with external auditors and the Board of Directors, and assesses any changes necessary.
- Leads annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the General Manager; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manages organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Updates and implements all necessary business policies and accounting practices; constantly improves TCUS’ policies and procedures.
- Prepares and presents financial reports at Board of Directors meetings.
- Oversees all TCUS tax matters and reporting.
- Oversees all TCUS grant programs including: Coordinates and oversees all grant programs to ensure that schedules of deliverables are met, programs are on budget and reporting is accomplished on time.
- Identifies and resolves discrepancies and potential problems in a timely manner to the satisfaction of all parties, including funding organizations and external partners to the best extent possible.
- Organizes and presents grant status briefings to management at regular intervals.
- Oversees the reporting and release of funds for all grant-funded programs consistent with best practices.
- Oversees TCUS Human Resource function
Board of Trustees
- Assists the General Manager as requested by providing staff support and guidance to the TCUS Board of Trustees.
- Acts as staff liaison to relevant board committees and board officers including Treasurer and Clerk.
- Ensures compliance with all relevant legislation, including
employment law, federal nonprofit company regulations and
Massachusetts corporation law. Ensures compliance to federal
requirements by third parties in accordance with the fiscal
sponsorship of any grants.
As requested by the General Manager
- MBA degree desired.
- Minimum 10 years of overall professional experience required, including: Non-profit or for-profit financial management Human Resource administration
- Operational/administrative management, including demonstrated experience in financial planning and analysis and program management.
- Experience with financial management systems, such as QuickBooks or equivalent is highly desirable.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
Apply for Director of Finance and Administration
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly