PostDoc Assoc Environmental Health
Our group and collaborators conduct water and health focused research internationally and domestically, with a regional focus on rural and peri-urban areas across China, and low-income areas in the Appalachian region of the USA. Additional information can be found on our group’s research website (www.GlobalEnvironmentalHealth.org) and our Berkeley/China/Virginia-Tech Program for Water & Health website (www.RuralWaterHealth.org).
The selected candidate will have a central role working on recently completed, ongoing, and planned projects, including a:
• Randomized controlled trial evaluating a safe water intervention in China;
• COVID-19 Wastewater Surveillance and Epidemiology project;
• Study of water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) in rural Chinese hospitals;
• Study on drinking water contamination and health outcomes in Appalachia (USA).
The selected candidate will have opportunities to prepare and submit first-authored articles for publication in peer-reviewed journals, and will also have the opportunity to develop one or more new research projects in consultation with the PI and collaborators.
In summary, key responsibilities for the Postdoctoral Researcher include:
• Taking a lead role in the organization, management, and analysis of data from multiple projects
• Preparing tables, figures, annotated code, and other data analysis outputs for presentations and submissions to peer-reviewed journals
• Working with the PI to conceptualize, design, and plan one or more new research projects
• Assisting with the management of data collection for field-based projects (which will include limited domestic travel, and the possibility for some international travel)
• Assisting with the mentorship of some students in the group
The selected candidate will also be provided time to pursue their own research and professional goals, as well as opportunities to engage in limited teaching activities if desired. Funding will also be available to support travel to conferences and research-related meetings.
Our work is highly collaborative and interdisciplinary in nature, so the selected candidate will have opportunities to engage with Virginia Tech colleagues in Environmental Engineering, Biological Systems Engineering, the Global Change Center, and others, as well as with collaborators at the University of California, Berkeley, the Chinese Center for Disease Control & Prevention (China CDC), and the Virginia Department of Health.
Please provide a Research Statement, Diversity Statement, and sample of publications if applicable.
• PhD (or equivalent degree) in environmental health, epidemiology, biostatistics, statistics, or a related field. PhD must be awarded no more than four years prior to the effective date of appointment with a minimum of one year eligibility remaining.
• Demonstrated experience working with large and small datasets (data cleaning, organization, management, coding, analysis) and producing publication-ready tables and figures
• Strong organizational, communication, and collaborative research skills
• Experience working with and analyzing data from a variety of public health study designs
• Expertise with R and proficiency or familiarity with Stata
• Ability to prepare high-quality English-language manuscripts with limited direct guidance
• Some experience conducting or managing field-based research
• Evidence of strong work habits and ability to work independently
March 31, 2021
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Tammy Stevers at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: February 4, 2021
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Biotechnology & Bioengineering Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Statistics Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg